Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
johnsor

Default Shocked

Before covering the "A" up for the winter, I was going to change the oil on the 7,000+ mile engine but decided to check the color of the oil on the dipstick first. I was surprised to see the oil level about 2" above the "F" mark on the dipstick, and then shocked to see about a gallon of anti freeze drain out of the pan before the oil. Well, I'll pull the engine and disassemble it carefully to find the cause of the problem. Hopefully it's just a head gasket, but I doubt it as the compression was good in all cylinders and it had been making a metallic noise the past month.

I wonder how I can hide this possible cost from you know who.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
You buy her a new sewing machine. (works for me!)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
modelamotorhead

Quote:
Before covering the "A" up for the winter, I was going to change the oil on the 7,000+ mile engine but decided to check the color of the oil on the dipstick first. I was surprised to see the oil level about 2" above the "F" mark on the dipstick, and then shocked to see about a gallon of anti freeze drain out of the pan before the oil. Well, I'll pull the engine and disassemble it carefully to find the cause of the problem. Hopefully it's just a head gasket, but I doubt it as the compression was good in all cylinders and it had been making a metallic noise the past month.

Borrow "you know who's" credit card to cover the costs. Maybe she won't notice if you used it incrementally....
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope it is just a head gasket.
modelamotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
johnsor

She already has three sewing machines and our credit card account is joint. I'll get creative as I always have in the past.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
old car guy

Try a differnt approach just tell her what you found and its got to be fixed. Holler mad maybe, but she all ready knows whats been invested and its got to be repaired. Try the truth its amazing how it works. And you wont be ant worse off anyway. Its worked for me with my wife for 41 yrs sofar .
Old 11-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
SDJason

Experienced the exact same thing one month ago - turned out the head nuts just needed retorqueing - if you haven't been checking those every so often, might want to try that first and see if it helps - at worse, you'd just be out a couple quarts of oil.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
JtownJoe

I had same experience about a year ago & it was only the head gasket even though I had 100# to 104# compression in all cylinders! I Hope your is the same and that's all it is.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
JtownJoe

Forgot to mention one of the clues (thanks to fellow Ford Barners) to the failed head gasket was the absence of carbon build up in the 3 & 4 spark plug and combustion chamber, even visible thru the plug hole with a flash light.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
johnsor

I think she would be happy with new carpeting. Gosh, I could buy another Model A for what new carpeting will cost. Besides, what's wrong with this carpeting? Especially after 25 years raising a family on it there is much sentimental value to it. I wouldn't throw an old coil away that tested good. (Just some humor to go with the grease under our fingernails)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
ctvpa

Probably head gasket, but while you have the head off, put new oil in the crankcase, coat the cylinders with oil, and run the starter several times, then change the oil again, and run the starter or crank it. With the head off, and no compression it will spin like mad. If you cannot get to this for a few days, take the sparkplugs out, and with the new oil in start spinning it now, try to force that contaminated oil out of the bearings and hiding places. Take the distributor off and put a quart of oil down there to move more contaminated stuff out.
You have to get all that antifreeze/water out of the system. Winter is coming, and ice inside there could really damage things. I had water in mine for about a week, and really caused a lot of problems.

Last edited by ctvpa; 11-29-2013 at 09:14 PM.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
I think she would be happy with new carpeting. Gosh, I could buy another Model A for what new carpeting will cost. Besides, what's wrong with this carpeting? Especially after 25 years raising a family on it there is much sentimental value to it. I wouldn't throw an old coil away that tested good. (Just some humor to go with the grease under our fingernails)
Johnsor, Dog hear, Ol' Bill sed he wuldn't even LAY on thet OOOLD shag carpet thet he raised 2 RUG-RATS on (YUUUUK!)
Ol' Bill kuts his fingernails REAL SHORT, (YOWEEE!) & don't have a problem with GREASE under them! (TIP# 117!) Wunce he got green on the pillow frum gear oil in his HAIR I tole him to shave his head He tole me, "+$*#%#@#*%#$#@" (WHUT'S THAT MEAN??) Buster T.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

HEY,

Turn your pants around so the zipper is in the front and just tell her what you are going to do,

Then turn, run, and duck.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Bill Cal.

Sure hope you pull the head before the engine.
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
johnsor

The engine is coming out next week. I won't feel comfortable or trusting until I know everything is good inside. Also I want to know what caused that mechanical noise I heard last summer. Maybe I'm pickey, but it's got to be done right as I take this car on 500 mile trips, so dependability is important.