Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Don Cape Cod

Default Rear mains, new Babbitt

Years ago you could walk into a PepBoys or Western Auto and find Model A parts on display tables. Yes, even re-Babbitted mains. I'm wondering if anyone is supplying them today. Yes I know they should be line bored but back in those days, 40s & 50s, it was not improtant. You could reduce oil out the rear main with a "store bought" new rear or center main cap. I'd like to know if there are any available. Thanks, don
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear mains, new Babbitt

Sure, James Rogers with DreamWerks engines does them however if you factor in the costs, you might as well do the entire bottem end. They don't have to be align bored if you know how to scrape babbitt. Also if you use TimeSaver lapping compund it can speed up the process.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
rollingsculpture

brent can you explain a little more about costs and how you would go about sizing the babbit to be the correct dimension for the crank shaft if the shaft has been turned.

tia

mike
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The costs is something I will yield to the rebuilders who offer that service but regarding how they are fitted, the oversized babbitt must be scraped (generally with a special knife), then installed and "blued" to view the high spots. After reading the results of bluing, the high spots are scraped down and then the cap is re-installed in the engine and the whole process goes again until there is uniform coverage all over the cap. This can take hours to do and get it right. It is an "art" that is just about extinct but those who can do it correctly, this method provides very satisfactory results.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Don Cape Cod

It is a process. I have hung on to my Babbitt scraper, but I suspect my Prussian Blue has dried up. I have done it in years past and ready to tackle it again. Many a time years ago I've cobled an engine together with a number of "doner" mains. The rest of this particular engine has other problems; a sticking tappet, of all things. I would just like to do it. I'll give dreamwerks a call this week. The crank has only been cut once and still looks good. There were single shims under the mains. I doubt a rebuilder would want anything other than the crank. I can always set it as a standby, and for checking carburetors. Thanks!
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote