Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Billybob57

Default Flathead Ted orders

What has been folks experience on delivery time for orders they placed with Flathead Ted? I ordered one of his deluxe brake kits three weeks ago and still haven't received them. I confirmed with him that it was sent. I know there are supply chain issues. Also, I was told it's shipped via New Zealand post but he didn't know about this end. Did you receive it via USPS?
Billybob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: Flathead Ted orders

Can't help you with their product availability. I am curious why you didn't order the Ted's Kit from one of the US Model A Vendors.................like Snyder's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake kit.jpg (32.7 KB, 602 views)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
Billybob57

It was cheaper directly from Flathead Teds. Plus there has been some discussion as to whether or not all of the units available are actually from Teds. If you buy in the USA, make sure it specifically says it's from Flathead Ted.

Last edited by Billybob57; 02-28-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
mercman from oz

Advert - Teds Brake Floater Kits available in the USA from Snyder's
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob57 View Post
It was cheaper directly from Flathead Teds. Plus there has been some discussion as to whether or not all of the units available are actually from Teds.
How much did you save ordering direct ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
Billybob57

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Saved $40.

Last edited by Billybob57; 02-28-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
McMimmcs

Quote:
Saved $40. This message from Ted himself made me wonder.

Larry Yes it does .be aware of the copies not mine ,(Macs ) Ted
Certainly understandable then!
Old 02-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #8
Synchro909

Just a wild guess here but seeing as how USPS doesn't send mail to this part of the world, I wonder if there is some sort of a hold up with mail going the other way.. That said, before they stopped sending mail here, 2-3 weeks was about normal for a parcel from the US.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #9
nkaminar

I ordered a model airplane kit from New Zealand and it has been a month. I am tracking the shipment and it was held up a week by the airline and a week by customs. So I am waiting patiently. It looks like I will get the kit next week.

If you have a tracking number you can track the shipment which will tell you where it is in the world.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #10
JayJay

This is really interesting. I use to order stuff from Great Britain quite a bit (pre-Brexit, so it may be different now) and my experience was the opposite - often faster delivery than from our own east coast. I think I've had some orders come straight from Asia, but as far as I know not from Australia or New Zealand. Is this difficulty in getting shipments from Oz a new thing?

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #11
Marcus

Billybob57: Not to hijack the thread, but my wife makes custom calendars as Christmas gifts, showcasing my modest collection as well as that of the recipient. I mailed a calendar to Rooboy (Kenny Fomiatti) in Western Australia on 10 November 2021. USPS said nothing about a mail embargo at the time; 3 months later, yesterday (03 February 2022), I received the package back, along with a “sticker” over the mailing address, giving me instructions of how to make a “returned postage” claim ….. very discouraging.
I just attempted UPS; yep, they will ship it, cost approximately $100 for a 15x20 envelope….
Old 02-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #12
Marcus

Billybob57: Not to hijack the thread, but my wife makes custom calendars as Christmas gifts, showcasing my modest collection as well as that of the recipient. I mailed a calendar to Rooboy (Kenny Fomiatti) in Western Australia on 10 November 2021. USPS said nothing about a mail embargo at the time; 3 months later, yesterday (03 February 2022), I received the package back, along with a “sticker” over the mailing address, giving me instructions of how to make a “returned postage” claim ….. very discouraging.
I just attempted UPS; yep, they will ship it, cost approximately $100 for a 15x20 envelope….
Old 02-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
CarlG

I ordered a balancing pulley from Murray Horn in New Zealand a month or so ago. Received it in less than a week, cost to ship was $30. Go figure!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #14
31Tudor

Quote:
Saved $40. This message from Ted himself made me wonder.

Larry Yes it does .be aware of the copies not mine ,(Macs ) Ted
Since you had some dialogue going with Ted prior to ordering, it seems that you may have been able to ask him specifically if say Snyder's carried his actual product, and avoided the overseas purchase. My own opinion, but the $40 savings doesn't seem all that great now.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
This is really interesting. I use to order stuff from Great Britain quite a bit (pre-Brexit, so it may be different now) and my experience was the opposite - often faster delivery than from our own east coast. I think I've had some orders come straight from Asia, but as far as I know not from Australia or New Zealand. Is this difficulty in getting shipments from Oz a new thing?

JayJay
As far as I know, there is no problem with shipments FROM Australia to the US, only going the other way. USPS returns US origin mail to the sender. There has been a lot of publicity here recently about how much the US military is building up here in Oz (China) but there is also a feeling that if they can't even deliver mail, what are they doing?
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:53 PM   #16
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Since you had some dialogue going with Ted prior to ordering, it seems that you may have been able to ask him specifically if say Snyder's carried his actual product, and avoided the overseas purchase. My own opinion, but the $40 savings doesn't seem all that great now.
In retrospect you are correct but at the time he was getting guaranteed quality at a reduced price.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:36 PM   #17
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
As far as I know, there is no problem with shipments FROM Australia to the US, only going the other way. USPS returns US origin mail to the sender. There has been a lot of publicity here recently about how much the US military is building up here in Oz (China) but there is also a feeling that if they can't even deliver mail, what are they doing?
I’m guessing our military is quite aware of what they are doing. Not a whole lot of correlation between the military and the postal service.🤓
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #18
rotorwrench

I used to have small stuff shipped via air mail services but it's been a while since I ordered stuff from the UK or the Dutch. USPS is having a hard time staying afloat and with the price of motor fuel ever increasing then it's not going to get better.

Mail is one thing and package delivery service is another. If an item fits in an envelope then it can be sent as mail but larger packages get more complicated. Things that come from other countries to the US are handled by the mail services of the other country then they go through customs when the stuff arrives in the US. If it passes customs scrutiny then it goes to the USPS. The US Military has its own mail delivery services that transfer from the military to the USPS after it clears the military inspection process.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-04-2022 at 07:25 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:28 AM   #19
updraught

"New Zealand UPDATE: New Zealand Post has advised that the Government of New Zealand has announced the application of the red setting of the “traffic lights” COVID-19 protection framework throughout the country as of January 23, 2022, impacting New Zealand Post’s operational performance in terms of processing, transport, sorting and delivery of mail."
https://icclogistics.com/update-inte...l-disruptions/

Could be it.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #20
rotorwrench

This has affected a lot of countrys with such protective orders. Hopefully this will end sometime this year but there is no time line that is guarateed any more. I pray that we get back to business as usual before too long for all those affected.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote