Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
billybronco1

Default Easy way to paint wheels ?

I need to paint my spare tire wheel. The ones mounted on the car are yellow is the re an easy way to accomplish this like from a spray can or does it have to be a full blown project.

Last edited by billybronco1; 03-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Easy way to paint wheels ?

It depends on the job you want. I spray canned my yellow wheel black, so it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb against my other 3 black wheels. Someday I'll sandblast all the rims and paint them with quality black paint. In the meantime I just drive it and enjoy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

I spray-canned the wheels on my '35, about in 1969. They have held up real well.
I think that the spray can paint was much better, back then, though.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Previous owner painted mine with spray cans, painted the back first, then the front, looks good, no overspray roughness on the back. He said the trick is to get the little snap on handle for the can as it gives better spray control. They look as good as powdercoated wheels. He used the best quality Rustoleum. Bill W.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Mikeinnj

I was unaware that Rustoleum offered different qualities of paints......???
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Just check out what they have at Home Depot -- you will be amazed! (& they don't carry all of them)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
We think of Rustoleum original, which was sorta' like some old chassis type, with fish oil or something?? that helped control rust, etc. I think my label calls it "deluxe" or "supreme" or sumptin' like that. It,s loaded with pigment & covers well, smooth & shiny. If done in by a professional in a good spray booth, I wouldn't hesitate to paint a complete car with it. Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EARL SCHEIB.jpg (84.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
stallerl

I'm not that big of a supporter of Rust-oleum paints but I have used their aerosol "Professional High Performance Enamel" for small pieces and was surprised how well it flowed and set up. Of course like all Rust-oleum paints it takes quite a while to dry. I usually let the painted pieces sit overnight before I mess with them.
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Just check out what they have at Home Depot -- you will be amazed! (& they don't carry all of them)
All of what ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
All of what ?
All of the different Rustamoleum types/lines. Bill W.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
billybronco1

Okay great news that a spray can is possible, now how about a color match for the Ford yellow on the rims? If they where black I would be all set, no issue there.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Donvito

My wheels were a bad attempt of apple green when I got the car. They were the wrong color. I changed them to Rustoleum Almond. The color is available in oil base quart can for brushing on, and spray can (at Home Depot). I had five wheels to do and did not want to dismount the tires. I used a good brush and did the rims. Then I sprayed the centers and spokes with the rattle can. The brushed on paint flows out nice, just don't put it on too heavy. It all blended in well. I only had to tape the valve stems. I had a little overspray on the tires. It cleaned up easy with lacquer thinner on a rag. A quart can costs about 10 bucks and it takes about 3 spray cans. It doesn't cost a lot. It's easy to do, and I'm happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0058.JPG (102.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0055.JPG (111.3 KB, 84 views)
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
crock

I painted my 28 wheels with urethane. came out great. a neat trick to painting wheels - use a road hazard cone. do one side, flip over to do the other side. keep your feet back or you will paint your sneakers.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
We think of Rustoleum original, which was sorta' like some old chassis type, with fish oil or something?? that helped control rust, etc. I think my label calls it "deluxe" or "supreme" or sumptin' like that. It,s loaded with pigment & covers well, smooth & shiny. If done in by a professional in a good spray booth, I wouldn't hesitate to paint a complete car with it. Bill W.
Hey Mr Bill, is that the real Earl Scheib? Phil.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

Don, When I was working with Ford 8N tractors, the method of painting the base coat on with a brush and finishing with spray cans, was used fairly frequently by guys who didn't have access to spray guns. I have used it myself a few times. The critical part is allowing the base coat the exact amount of drying time before spraying the topcoat. Too little and it runs and sags. Too much and it's too dry for the base coat to smooth out.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donvito View Post
My wheels were a bad attempt of apple green when I got the car. They were the wrong color. I changed them to Rustoleum Almond. The color is available in oil base quart can for brushing on, and spray can (at Home Depot). I had five wheels to do and did not want to dismount the tires. I used a good brush and did the rims. Then I sprayed the centers and spokes with the rattle can. The brushed on paint flows out nice, just don't put it on too heavy. It all blended in well. I only had to tape the valve stems. I had a little overspray on the tires. It cleaned up easy with lacquer thinner on a rag. A quart can costs about 10 bucks and it takes about 3 spray cans. It doesn't cost a lot. It's easy to do, and I'm happy with the results.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I used this in gallons with an HVLP gun to paint a 62 Chevy Panel truck I had a few years ago. It turned out great and was tough as nails. Why Rustoleam you may ask, that truck had tons of sheet metal to cover and I only had a hundred dollar bill into the paint job when I was done. I would do it again.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Donvito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Don, When I was working with Ford 8N tractors, the method of painting the base coat on with a brush and finishing with spray cans, was used fairly frequently by guys who didn't have access to spray guns. I have used it myself a few times. The critical part is allowing the base coat the exact amount of drying time before spraying the topcoat. Too little and it runs and sags. Too much and it's too dry for the base coat to smooth out.
Terry
Terry, I have the spray guns have done lots of automotive painting. However, I was looking for an easy way to paint my wheels, like billybronco1 is trying to do. I came up with the method I used because it fit the job. I was able to paint the wheels with the tires on them. I did not have to mask the tires at all. The brush let me lay a nice coat of paint on the rims, right up to the edge, where it meets the rubber. The spokes and wheel centers are covered best by spraying. For me, it was a good combination. You're absolutely right, even with a brush and spray can, it takes some technique to get good results.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
billybronco1

I picked up some Rustoleum Almond but my wheels are a little more cream colored yellow so I need to find a better match or paint all five wheels. Right night I only need to paint the spare. Anyone else found a closer match to the original color?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
ctvpa

I was recently shown a nice trick. The man deflated the tire, and placed it flat on the ground. Standing on the tire, he broke the bead free. He then put his knees on the tire, that allowed him room to put place paper between the tire and the wheel. He scuffed and painted the wheel, then when it was dry, lifted the paper out, inflated the tire and it looked great, no masking tape, no paint on the tire. Briliant
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

Had a 32 4dr sedan back in 68 while stationed in newport, RI. 3 guys, case of beer, red rustoleum and brushes, painted all 5 in an afternoon. On the car, no paint on the tires. Black car, 4cyl, stock w/blackwalls.
Paul in Ct
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote