Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
kimeccles

Default Aug 1930 Cabriolet body install

Hi,

I have new fabric web liner glued to the frame front to back and I have all the kit of Bratton's rubber body spacers. If anyone has done this, should I start with one spacer everywhere, or two?

I have seen this described both ways. Also the Restorer Handbook says mid 1930-31 radiator only used 1/16 Inch pad, the MARC judging guidelines say 5/32 leather pad. I have been planning to use something in-between for now.

However, if I use double body pads, then probably I have to use a higher radiator pad.

Thanks for advice.
kimeccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Aug 1930 Cabriolet body install

Every shim might have to be modified after the body is on because that is how door alignment is done. Just have one in each location to start with, then snug the fasteners. It takes awhile, start with hood alignment, then on to doors. Marco T's site is the best source for the process.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
duke36

100IH is correct for process . The radiator pads thickness can vary from side to side depending on frame, etc. We've sometimes only had 1/16" thick pads there. The hood/ shell and front cowl alignment are critical to get even hood gaps. Often the cowl and A pillar are too low creating wide gaps at the rear hood bottoms -to- cowl. The radiator can be moved side to side slightly and the rear hood bracket can be adjusted with shims from the vendors if needed.Some of the repro rear hood brackets may not fit well so check those so the hood doesn't slide forward to the shell. Les Andrews green book has dimensions for cowl to radiator/shell which are helpful as a guide to insure that the radiator is exactly perpendicular to the body cowl. The radiator shell bottom sides shouldn't touch the fenders with even gaps there. As a side note, we've found the repro Rootlieb hoods fit like originals to give good hood alignment gaps.
As stated, the process can take many hours depending on frame and body condition and have additional pads available as there may be no set amount at each body block.

Last edited by duke36; 11-22-2017 at 12:27 PM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
kimeccles

Thanks. I was told start with one spacer on all, but start with three on the very front of the cowl. Then work on the second one at the rear of the cowl to begin adjusting. Spent half a day just getting the body lifted onto the liner and the right bolts through it in the right spots and of course bolts too short for the lock washers at first. So a lot of tighten, then loosen, then tighten. I expect this will be my life all Monday morning when the shop opens.