Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
cwh

Default 4 speed trans rebuild

So I have my 4 speed all ready to reassemble. Are there any tricks or modifications that are recomended for these old transmissions. I'd prefer that it didn't leak gear lube in the future. There are a few things that I've been thinking as I get ready to go back together with it. Would CAT green be the way to go to seal the counter shafts where they enter and exit the case? Also would sealed bearings be a better choice for the input and output bearings? Maybe copper washers and RTV where the bolts come into the tranny case? Just food for thought. I'd appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,

Chris
cwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 4 speed trans rebuild

use locktite on all the bolts to prevent leaks, take locktite and when you have installed the thru case shafts,clean off any oil/grease on ends of shafts,then. put it on both ends of the shaft and work them back and forth to seal up the shafts, use silicon (black) gasket sealer on all gaskets, put teflon tape or silicon sealer on the fill/drain plugs. try to stay away from synthetic lube-they tend to leak inspite of what you do to seal up a case
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote