Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #1
CYB4

Default Can't pull oil pump

Hello, I removed the oil pan of my 1930 Tudor to clean it out and to renew its gaskets. I also wanted to clean and check the condition of the oil pump. Normaly the oil pump should fall out, when removing the oil pan. I also removed the plug, which is in the engine block at the side of the oil pump. But I am still not able to pull it out with normal manual forces.

To avoid damages, to you have any advice how to get it out of the block? Is there something, which could hold it in there?

Thanks

Chris

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor

Last edited by CYB4; 02-12-2016 at 08:19 AM.
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:19 AM   #2
juke joint johnny

Default Re: Can't pull oil pump

Squirt some good quality penetrating oil in the plug hole , maybe that will loosen it

You may have to remove the distributor and the Oil pump drive gear [inside the valve cover] It could be rusted on to that

Good Luck
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

Do not force the pump out by wiggling it back and forth. That cast iron body will break off at the top. I must have three or four bodies that are worthless because someone tried to strong-arm the pump out of the block, or a long bolt was used in place of the short plug, the idea being to keep the pump in place. In fact, a long bolt will usually lead to a broken housing because of the sideways stress the bolt has caused.
Anyway, in your case, first remove the distributor. Be careful here, too, and don't pry it up with excessive force. If it doesn't want to come up with SLIGHT prying, buy or borrow the special distributor puller. It really works well and has never failed me. Once the distributor is out, you'll need to remove the valve cover and drive gear with its retainer spring. Now the path will be clear from the top of the cylinder head all the way to the top of the oil pump. Take a long wooden dowel, such as a cutdown broom stick and tap the top of the oil pump shaft through the distributor hole in the cylinder head. Be sure to either have someone holding the pump below or place some towels on the floor for the pump to fall onto. You do not want it to fall on the garage floor when you tap it. This procedure will do the job.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I would try tapping straight down on the pump body. Gentle taps while you hold the pump with your other hand, so it doesn't fall to the ground. Be sure the taps are straight downward, and not to the side. If this doesn't get the pump moving, then I'd remove it the way Marshall just described. I keep a steel and a brass rectangular bar around for jobs like this.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Yes, by all means you could try Tom's suggestion first. It would certainly save you a lot of time and mess if the pump could be tapped down by striking the metal shroud. But be careful not to force it to one side or the other. You cannot believe how easily the top of that cast iron pump body will break! If at all possible, try tapping with TWO hammers 180 degrees apart so that equal downward force is applied and the pump body won't be forced to one side or the other. If the pump body won't release after a reasonable amount of tapping in this manner, you're probably going to need to remove the distributor and valve cover to get a direct path for tapping the oil pump shaft downwards.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Somebody" peened over the locating dowel on Vermins' oil pump & it doesn't fall out-----------
Bill W.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

After a while, we are never surprised with what one finds in or on a Model A.

My initial thoughts were maybe someone placed and jammed beer can metal shims around the oil pump prior to inserting same so the pump would not fall out.

Next, began to think that if a functioning Model A oil pump begins to get lodged because it rusted in place while in use .... hurry ...... run out to buy cow feed .... they are coming home.

Who knows what to expect next?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chris,
"Maybe" just let it stay & drop off the lower cover & check the gears for wear. If the cover's worn, just turn it over. Chief (RIP), my Dad always said, "The EASIEST way is the best way, IF it does the job PROPERLY"!
Bill W.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
V4F

the hole just below the distributor will form rust from engine moisture . pull the dist. & use penetrating lube . I pack mine with a little grease & oil . solves the problem . I read somewhere that it needs to be serviced when you service the car ........
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Big hammer

Have you removed it? My thought is a long bar/length of wood,under the frame/radius rod on the left side, rope around the pump and bar/ length of wood, and pull down on the right side. Never down this, just my thought. Good luck!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote