Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default Describe a sound?

How do you describe a sound? It seems every project I finish has a few loose threads to tuck up. I recently had the steering box torn apart and a new shaft and worm installed. At first I thought my problems were over and I was real pleased with the ease of the steering but deeply concerned with the loud snaps, clank, bangs and knocks that were heard when I turned the wheel sitting still, stressed the steering at all like turning on uneven gravel, or hitting a pothole when slowly turning around. They were sheet metal like bangs not engine noises and worrisome. I thought the frame was breaking. I didn't suspect the steering sector shaft clanking in and out a quarter inch as being the cause of those noises. There was also a cat squall when I turned around on a slope

The fellow that did the repairs adjusted the sector shaft adjustment and the noises stopped but I still have 4" of play either side of center that won't adjust out. It still steers easy, straight and no longer hunts but I have to pull the box again. He is going to replace the sector shaft bushings and add a couple of sector thrust washers to move the sector into better contact with the worm to get rid of the play. So he says and I hope he is right. It is a major pain to pull the shifter and brake boots, floor mat, floor boards, remove the peddles and steering.

I wish that was the end of the issues. I don't have many miles on the installation of a new alternator. When it was first hooked up and the engine started there was a rapid pinging sound of the alternator fan hitting the lower mount. An adjustment fixed that. But now with the snaps, bangs, cracks and clatter of the steering resolved there is one noise I can't diagnose.

What is the sound of a mis-aligned fan belt on an alternator? The noise the car makes generally comes when I am speeding up or slowing down when the engine is turning fairly fast. I don't believe it is an internal engine sound. It is almost like something hitting the fan blade.

It has been suggested perhaps it is piston slap. The suggestion scares me because I have no idea what that sounds like so I can't say. The car cruises along at 45 to 50 just fine, doesn't overheat and the ring dinginty ding ding isn't all the time.[/COLOR][/B] My answer is to take it to some trusted members of a club 60 miles north of here. No guts no glory. I plan on driving it there...sound or no sound. A trailer isn't available.

In the last three months I have done the following to my '29 Fordor Briggs.
Replaced the fuel tank, the timing gear, distributor with modern points and condenser, the steering shaft and worm, had the radiator neck re-soldered, changed to an alternator and added a luggage rack. Now I want to go somewhere.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
bobbycoke

Default Re: Describe a sound?

ivoryjohn go, go ,go somewhere have fun... I treat my noises [actually Miss Elizabeth's,1930 tudor] like patina, enjoy. Of course always try to determine the cause and degree of severity but we are spoiled by todays soundless cars by way of soundproofing and fine machining. With 6 decades of noise behind me I sometimes don't know if my modern is running! not so with Elizabeth..... she talks to me.. my pop was in the auto repair business his whole life [95 years] and he could tell what was wrong by the customers description of the "sound" of the problem! The funny thing he told me was that men all discribe a certain problem sound one way and women have a different sound description for the same noise ieroblem. Women would be constitant with their imitation of the sound as would the men all make the same sound but they would be different for the same problem.... This is proof that what I have been telling the mrs is true that the sexes hear differently, I don't care for that dress does not mean you are fat!!!!!
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

probably one of the the most difficult tasks in communication is accurately describing a noise, and accurately understanding what someone is trying to say. Find someone experienced and have them listen to it.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i had some strange sounds from loose and broken engine pans and those aftermarket hood holders. turn the radio up and go
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

By design the steering is loose either side of center. How much play does the steering have when driving straight ahead?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote