Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
delco1946

Default spotlight question

1955 fairlane with (aftermarket?) spotlights. I rebuild and cleaned one of them and after re-assembling it doesn't appear as tho the handle portion clamps down on the chrome shaft. As in the passenger could simply pull on the handle and the interior portion would simply slide out. This means that for good electrical contact on the interior brass rod that carries the current, the user would have to push on the handle while locating the beam. This seems like a poor design so i'm betting i am missing a part or just air headed. how does the interior handle part clamp down on the shaft??? I attached a pic to indicate what i'm talking about. Also, the screw on the handle in the pic doesn't control tightness on the outer shaft (what i need), but rather one of the inner shafts. Thanks!

Christopher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp spotlight.jpg (4.8 KB, 16 views)
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: spotlight question

If no one comes on to help you, you will most likely have to look for the manufacturer ID on the lamp assy and try to find a manual/info on the net.

Aftermarket parts/accessories can be a pain in the butt.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
54vicky

Default Re: spotlight question

you will find that the shaft is not attached by bolt it will have a notch on shaft that will fit into handle then the set screw that holds the handle on will keep the shaft on as the inner shaft is what allows the light to turn side to side the handle does not turn the light up and down.hope that is clear.the handle will need to be apart to tighten set screw or bolt to shaft handle is 2 piece to allow attaching to rod
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
rotorwrench

It looks like an old Unity design. They have a pinch clamp at the windshield post mount and the control handle has a large wedge pin near the beginning of the hollow control shaft that engages a flat on that shaft to keep it from moving inside the control handle. If someone shortened the control shaft. The flat spot may be gone. Unity made different lengths of shafts for all sorts of applications.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
delco1946

There is a chance someone shortened the shaft, but i will take another look at it, thanks!
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote