Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
bobmc

Default PPG paint colors

In May of 2012 I had my coupe painted copra and chicle drab. The paint code was obtained by scanning a spray out card and was not tinted. Was very satisfied with the paint job. This spring when I uncovered the car to begin our touring season the gas tank was leaking around the steering column bracket.
Remove the tank to have it repaired. Repairs completed, tank needed to be re-painted. Still having the paint can from the original paint in 2012, In returned to my PPG paint supplier. They mixed up a pint or single stage concept paint. DCC I think its called. I delivered the tank, paint, hardener, and reducer to the same person that painted the car. They called informing me my job was complete.
This is where my problem starts.
When I picked up the tank it had a green tint not brown. Went back to the paint supply store and they mixed up more. Still Green! I had them color scan the hood (original Paint from 2012) The code came back the same.
There are only four tonner colors in the mix, black white yellow and red. the paint store called customer service as was told there were no changes in the tint colors in the last three years. Tomorrow they will obtain a new can of the red tint and mix a sample.

Any one else had this problem with PPG paint? what was your solution?
THANKS
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: PPG paint colors

I have had problems with two colors in PPG Concept - Copra Drab and Bonnie Gray. The PPG paint code for Copra Drab was a gray not a brown like it should have been. I had the paint store mix two cans at different times and both were the wrong color, so it wasn't a mixing problem. A couple years later I had a small quantity of Bonnie Gray PPG Concept mixed and it was a straight gray, not a slightly green tinted gray like it should have been. I did the same thing as with the Copra Drab - went with DuPont and it was again right on. I ended up using DuPont Chroma-Preimer single stage paint and it was right on for both colors and matched the chips in the Paint and Finishing Guide. I like using PPG better, but not when the color is wrong. PPG Concept is a little cheaper and is a 4:1 mix with some reducer. DuPont Chroma-Priemer SS paint is a 3:1 mix with no reducer. That means the Concept goes farther and is cheaper even though ALL auto paint is $$$.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote