Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Henrietta rules

I wholeheartedly agree with Jim/TX/GA. It is an embarrassing situation when one breaks down on a tour and to add insult to injury by putting a rubber chicken on your car to remind everyone what happened for the remainder of the tour? Unbelievable. In my local Model A Club, when someone breaks down, all the members reach out to immediately help and this is the way it should be.
why some of us dont join "clubs".......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_Zero View Post
I am glad that Jim brought up his point as it is very valid. So far it has all been in fun and taken lightly. Anyone who has attended our club meetings knows that we do not take things too seriously, but this is definitely something to keep in mind.

1. what constitutes a "breakdown"?
Depends on how frequently you want to hand out the award. Qualifiers for our club award start at the very basic and easily avoidable problems. Once our club grows bigger, the qualifications will probably be geared to more severe situations. The 30 minute rule mentioned above is a good idea.
To answer your first question, In our club the "Hard Luck Award" is only awarded if a car has to be towed home after it is clear after we all pitch in it is beyond our means to get the car going again while away from the shop. (see post#7).

We only hand out the "Hard Luck Award" at our monthly meetings and it is awarded to the last car to breakdown and has to be towed. If we can get the car going again while out on the road the award is not given and we continue with the tour. There isn't any ridiculing in public and it is all taken in good fun.

I believe we are all grown up enough to realize mishaps can happen to any 90 year old car and most members are willing to help get it on the road again.

This appears to be one of those items that will never be agreed upon. The OP stated the chicken has already been approved in his club. He is asking for suggestions for "guidelines" .

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-25-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #23
russcochiolo

This is the FUBAR annual award that I "won" last year as mentioned by Bro. Bill in Post #5. It has a place of honor on top of the shelf. Hopefully someone will "win" it for this year. It's not looking good for me so far this year.
The incident was when Blue Lulu didn't even make it out of town for an overnight tour. Seems that Dave and I mis-diagnosed the ailment as a fuel issue when it was indeed later discovered that it was ignition. We finished the tour in a modern. Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3990.jpg (66.2 KB, 25 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #24
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with Jim/TX/GA. It is an embarrassing situation when one breaks down on a tour and to add insult to injury by putting a rubber chicken on your car to remind everyone what happened for the remainder of the tour? Unbelievable. In my local Model A Club, when someone breaks down, all the members reach out to immediately help and this is the way it should be.
I'm curious what makes you assume that by issuing the rubber chicken means that all of the members DON'T reach out to immediately help???. IF there was a difference in this regard between those that like the chicken idea and those that don't (and I don't think there is), I would think the "chicken" people to be more apt to help than the anti-chicken people but, like I said, I don't think whether or not the chicken presentation is used has any bearing.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
Having "fun" at someone else's expense is rarely a good idea.
Agree.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #26
30 Closed Cab PU

My opinion. No matter what you do, you can't please everyone, have to live with who you are and the consequences. I never could get used to group dynamics. Sticking my foot in my mouth leading to unintended consequences.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #27
ronn

kill,

just dont see the point of embarrassing anyone. not funny.

if I lose a thousand on a stock and tell you and you choose to laugh at me, where's the benefit? are you then going to give me stock advice?
heckling the lowest guy on the pole rarely works out..... giving him a hand- good stuff!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #28
Chuck Sea/Tac

Eventually someone will get mad, or hurt feelings, and you’ll lose a member. Personally, I’m ok with it, but someone won’t be. Both my clubs have implemented and removed such rewards twice. The honor was voted in.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

When going through Colonel Sanders' DRIVE THROUGH, I'd hang my Chicken from the upper door hinge & I ALWAYS got a FREE TREAT, in my bag! My Friend was the MANAGER.

Bill W.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Eventually someone will get mad, or hurt feelings, and you’ll lose a member.
Not sure why. It's been stated several times that receiving the chicken is NOT mandatory and that if someone has an issue with it, they don't have to accept it.
I think, perhaps, the reason for the difference in opinion on this is that some (those with negative feelings about it) see it as laughing at someones misfortune and others (those with positive feelings about it) see it as acknowledging someones misfortune in a fun way. I like the idea and, if I were to receive it, I would not view it as others laughing at my misfortune, but rather, the groups way of simply acknowledging my misfortune. At any rate, "Corley" has now stated a couple times that this is NOT about whether or not to do it, it's about how to implement it.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #31
Karl Wescott

When I was an active volunteer firefighter we had a annual "S.H." award. As in "Stuff Happens". It was intended to reward those situations when someone was trying to do everything right, especially above and beyond, and things just did not work out well.

Over the years we had to disqualify anything that was caused by negligence or rules violation of the of the proposed recipient or involved significant injury to a firefighter, or any injury to a non-firefighter, or significant property damage.

So I would recommend NO rubber chicken if...
1. Breakdown caused by negligent or reckless action of any party. This would include anything that should have been found in the pre-tour inspection. The car should have not been on the road. Stuff falling off a passing vehicle and going through the radiator, etc. If the if the issue was caused by others and the car owner did not cause the problem here they are a victim.
2. Any situation with an injury greater than minor first aid.
3. Any crash that causes damage or injury to another vehicle or person.
4. Any catastrophic failure that causes the vehicle to retire from the tour. This can make the "rubber chicken" a badge of honor of overcoming a breakdown, a reward for success in adversity rather than a badge of shame.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #32
daveymc29

Our club had a "Hard Luck Trophy. It was given as an annual award for the member with the worst luck, ie breakdowns, during the years. No one took offense to it except one of the most fun loving in our club. He won it for a citation for holding up traffic. After that event it was given to me to dispose of. It resides in my garage and is part of the club memorabilia. I doubt the club will ever again vote to "honor" someone for a mishap again, but if we do it's available. Whatever the breakdown we added a piece of the problem and a little name tag to the trophy before handing it out. I personally found it offensive, though I never received it except to dispose of, but then I never was the school ground bully either. I still feel badly for people with problems and do my best to be of assistance, not mock them.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote