Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
jeremy.klinger

Default 2 Issues Intertwined?

Got the '30 running Tuesday, the kids were thrilled! Went for a spin yesterday, and the battery was dead. I'm suspecting a bad cut-out, is there anyway to test it before I just start changing parts and extensively troubleshooting? Second issue is when I do get him running he just wants to die sitting at idle. I have to keep tapping gas to keep it going, I tried adjusting the carb to no avail. I replaced the float and a few other items in the carb already because the float had fuel inside of it. I want to say it's timing, but 95% sure it's good from doing it numerous times over the years. At the same time, it's hard to time it when the battery's dead! Could the cut-out be the culprit for both issues?

Thanks again fellow A-ers.

Jeremy
jeremy.klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
ScottNW/Ohio

Default Re: 2 Issues Intertwined?

Jeremy,
I'd start by checking connections (make sure they are all clean and tight)
If it's been sitting for long time, the brushes in the gen. may be sticking and not making a good connection to the armature.
If it's an original style cut-out,clean the contacts and see if the lever inside moves freely
Aslo check the connections in the terminal box and the ammeter - a bad ammeter could be the problem as well
You're probably on the right track about the two problems being related, the generator is not putting out enough current to keep the motor running.
Is the battery in the car a 'known good' battery?
Because it 'should' run smooth on just the battery voltage, until it runs down
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Don't need a battery to time it. After you get it running again, ck for vac leak either at the manifolds or carb. Which carb do you have??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.klinger View Post
Got the '30 running Tuesday, the kids were thrilled! Went for a spin yesterday, and the battery was dead. I'm suspecting a bad cut-out, is there anyway to test it before I just start changing parts and extensively troubleshooting? Second issue is when I do get him running he just wants to die sitting at idle. I have to keep tapping gas to keep it going, I tried adjusting the carb to no avail. I replaced the float and a few other items in the carb already because the float had fuel inside of it. I want to say it's timing, but 95% sure it's good from doing it numerous times over the years. At the same time, it's hard to time it when the battery's dead! Could the cut-out be the culprit for both issues?

Thanks again fellow A-ers.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Sorry, if it is not the cut-out, then maybe the battery itself...

If you do not have the means to test the battery yourself...take it out and take it to your local battery shop and have them test it. If it is dead, charge it up.

Do you have a "fuse" at the starter to disconect the battery from the car once it is parked? If not get one of those kits from your local repop Model A Parts House. When you go to restart the car after a while of sitting, put the fuse back in, and try to start it...if no go, bad battery, if so, then there is another problem elsewhere if left hooked up and the battery drains itself.

However, there are electrical devices that one can get at your local battery store or car parts store that will tell you if the battery is good or not as it sits in the Model A.

I am sure there are other ways of doing the same thing and you will hopefully hear about them.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
jeremy.klinger

Scott,

It is a new battery and had a full charge on it last weekend, according to my charger. The cut-out is also the original style, I'll take a look at that this afternoon. I grew up in NW Ohio, about 30 miles west of Toledo.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
jeremy.klinger

Hi Paul, once again you have good advice. I put the foil between the exhaust manifold/muffler that I was asking about earlier this week, waiting to see the outcome though (thanks to the new issues). I have a Tillotson installed, but have a Zenith as well. When my dad handed down the car he thought the Tillotson was better, but I have ran both in the past. The only way I can keep him running is having my 11 year old daughter playing with the gas lever as I run around the car. I like her involvement helping me out though. Honestly, I was so busy adjusting the carb I didn't look for leaks.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
jeremy.klinger

Steve, I have no fuse at the starter...but that is something to look at for long storage periods. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
ScottNW/Ohio

Jeremy,
Greetings from the Buckyey State.....
I'm near Van Wert (2 hrs south of Toledo)
31 Flamingo has a good point on a vacuum leak - because if you have the voltage to start it with the battery alone, it should sit and run (smoothly) but would stumble if you did anything that would also use current (like turning on the lights or using the horn)
If you have a meter, you could check volt readings at different connections for a broken wire or bad connection.
You've got the right idea though - check and test before 'throwing parts at it'
Good luck
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Take a 12 volt test light
With a charged battery and the car off there should only be voltage at the cut out terminal that the wires connect to if the cut out is good. If both terminals have voltage then it's bad and draining your battery through the generator. With the car running both terminals should have voltage.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Jerry Parr WI

The cutout is simply a switch that disconnects the generator when it's not outputting. Shorting the terminals will connect the generator directly to the battery. If it charges with this connection the cutout is the problem. If not, look elsewhere like the generator. Don't forget to remove the short when not running.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote