Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #41
JEC

Default Re: Aviation gas in Model A

When I lived in Missouri and would take my cattle to the sale barn more often than not the tax people would be there testing the diesel trucks for off road diesel. If it came out red the fine was hugemungous.
Hopefully we won't start getting a rash of testing at our model A meets.
The get around on airplane only buying of 100ll is to pick out an n number on one of the airplanes on the ramp and use it. It isn't illegal to buy fuel in a can if you say it is to be used in an airplane. Since you are planning on breaking the law by using it in your car breaking another one won't be that hard.
The Auto gas STC which allows for the use of auto fuel in some airplanes is pretty much useless anymore since the STC doesn't allow any alcohol in the fuel.
John in Tucson
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #42
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I ran a tank of av gas in my first A with no problems with a slight adjust on the
advance lever, as Jason suggested. I only did it the one time---put about 30 miles
on the A.

Jack
Old 06-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
Keith True

I've been down that road of having the red fuel tested.I carried a copy of the law with me in the last few years I drove the truck.Years ago a lot of us would dump a quart of ATF in each tank when fueling.The law read red fuel shall not be the determining factor of a violation,but probable cause for testing.A lot of the additives were red in color so it was really hard to decide who was breaking the law by running untaxed fuel.I always passed my tests.I used to pick up av gas at a local airport for a farmer with a J3,then I had to start filling out forms for every can I filled.Then they wanted the actual owner of the plane to sign them,they really didn't care but somebody was on them about it.Turns out the lineboy knew the farmers plane had been in a ground crash 3 or 4 years ago,never repaired,and couldn't possibly have been using the gas I was buying.Also,I found out my Harley doesn't run one iota different on av gas as it does on 87 octane pump junk.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote