Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Great Lakes Greg

Default How do I finish off this top corner?

This is the front corner on a standard phaeton. If I pull straight forward, the seam on the finished edge runs off the corner and looks bad, as does trying to fold it over. The Hidem welt would never cover a big fold like the one pictured and look right. I know explaining these things in words can be difficult, but I am hoping somebody will give it a try, or a picture would be even better.
Thanks experts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 061.jpg (71.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 062.jpg (81.4 KB, 91 views)
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: How do I finish off this top corner?

Greg,
Look at Marcos sight, under "more photos", of his Roadster....

.................... www.abarnyard.com Marco Tahtaras....................
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Bob C

I think the top is cut wrong, it shouldn't be folded over. Look at Marco's roadster, my open
cab pick up is done like his also.
http://www.abarnyard.com/roadster/etop-1.htm

Bob

Darn two minutes slow, shouldn't have gone out to look at my pick up.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Richard Wilson

Top material is not cut wrong. It looks OK. I am hesitant to respond further as there are several Pros that can better explain this than me but they are probably off the computer for the weekend or headed to the National meet.

Questions for you.

1. Have you installed the windshield flap to front bow; and rear curtain and rear apron to rear bow already? Hope so. Of course you have installed the straps and pads?

2. Did you know that the top deck is pin tacked and corners fitted to the front bow before fitting to the rear bow? It looks like you may have started your install back to front which is your main problem with to much extra material. I hope not. Also I wish you had not stapled the sides yet. That may be another problem area.

In general, you have to pin tack the top deck all the way across the front bow, then slit/V-cut the top material along the tack line in the front cornor to eliminate most all of the "extra" puckered folded over material, pull the side trim piece up and around the bow and tack over where you just tacked the top deck, trim excess material, and finally the hidem welt covers the tack line and the corner seam.

It is harder to explain than to do. Wish that I was closer. I do not have any step by step "how to" pictures but maybe someone else will have some or will have phaeton top install instruction sheet from LeBaron Bonney.

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 06-09-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

I reworked the front corners this afternoon with very good results. As Mr. Wilson suggested, the staples on the front sides were kind of throwing a wrench into the works. The material seemed to be much easier to work with with the sides not attached, and it all fit like it should after that. The LB directions were a bit vague in this area, coupled with the misspellings and generally lousy descriptions. Great product, but after three cars, the directions on each one proved to be sub-par. I would definetly buy from LB again, though.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Richard Wilson

That is good news Greg! Glad you were able to get those corners worked out. Sometimes you can work yourself into a corner (pun intended) and have to step away for awhile and think about the best way to proceed.

If I owned L-B my #1 priority would be to have someone write better instruction sheets for ALL of their kits. I would bet that 2/3 of their great kits are sold to amateur restorers. Their materials and workmanship are top quaity but as you say the instruction sheets are 2ond rate at best.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote