Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Minn-Tex Lee

Default Steering Free Play/ Bind Adjustment, 2 tooth

I finally completed my steering adjustments and thought I would update you folks on my results.
My first problem was vocabulary. Sometimes a part is refered to as a worm shaft, other times it is a steering shaft. Some times there is a worm sector. Just understanding the part name is a problem.
Just trying to understand what is being accomplished would be a big help.
I came up with this procedure because I understood it much easier.
I do not have a copy of the service bulletins yet so if it is covered there better, I appologize.

TWO TOOTH GEAR / WORM ADJUSTMENT
Note: Normal gears are always centered. However the Two Tooth Steering gear with the "skinny middle" worm requires centering before proper mesh can be accomplished.

After having achieved proper fit of the worm shaft and the sector shaft (end play adjustment) the following resolves the Free Play / Bind issue.

Centering Adjustment: Move the "eccentric rivet" From stop to stop (or bind to bind) and end up with the slot in the middle of the extremes. This moves the housing side to side.
This should achieve proper centering.

Mesh adjustment: Turn the eccentric sleeve nut to eleminate free play without any bind.
This moves the housing up or down as required.

This helped me understand what the adjustment procedures were trying to accomplish.
I had a new worm put on my shaft and they did not get it on far enough -thus understanding gear centering became important.
Lee
Minn-Tex Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Steering Free Play/ Bind Adjustment, 2 tooth

thank you . i for one absolutely hate working on the box ! rebuilt one 4 times with no help . now maybe ill try with your help ............... steve
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Minn-Tex Lee

Steve, let me know how you make out. It is really simple but all the procedures make it seem a lot more complicated than it really is.
Lee
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Richard/Ca

Can any one help out. (Don' say which way did you come in)
I was trying to be cheap and tried to install the worm gear on the steering shaft. I put the shaft in the freezer over night and left a there until the worm gear was what I thought was hot enough.Took the shaft out of freezer drop the gear on it try bump it down with pressure but it only went about half way before it seized up. now how do I get it off so I can have it done by some one who might know what they are doing. Minn-Tex Lee I am sorry I did not mean to jump in on your thread but I figure this might be a good place to get some info.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Adjusting these is simple,, its just a bit complicated and time consuming.. A good book or the service bulletins really should used though until you're used to it.. There is an order to the adjustments and once one is moved the process should start again.. All four adjustments can be performed in the car with a little American ingenuity..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Minn-Tex Lee

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I tried to simplify the procedure be assuming the two shaft end play adjustments were made properly. They should not have any further need for adjustment.
Then center with the eccentric rivet, and adjust mesh with the eccentric sleeve.
If centering was done properly that should be it.
If I am wrong I would appreciate any correction.
Lee
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
J Franklin

I heard it said once many years before PC "there are many ways to skin a cat".
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post
I was trying to be cheap and tried to install the worm gear on the steering shaft. I put the shaft in the freezer over night and left a there until the worm gear was what I thought was hot enough.Took the shaft out of freezer drop the gear on it try bump it down with pressure but it only went about half way before it seized up. now how do I get it off so I can have it done by some one who might know what they are doing. Minn-Tex Lee I am sorry I did not mean to jump in on your thread but I figure this might be a good place to get some info.
Richard, you cannot put the worm on like you tried, it will never be hot enough to just drop on. The interference fit is much greater than the expansion rate of the worm. I made a tool to install the worm becvause you just cannot stand the shaft up in a press and push the worm on, you will bend the steering shaft. The worm can be pressed off using any press over 10 tons and placing arbor plates under the worm and press a socket smaller than the inner hole through to push the shaft out. If you were close I would press the worm on for 25$ but Ca. is pretty far away. H&H might be able to do this or Taylor both being just outside LA. Here are some pics of the block.The shaft is put in loose but tight enough to let the shaft slide and it is pressed out with a socket slightly smaller than the shaft. To install the worm, the bolts are tightened with the shaft just slightly under the point the worm will press to and is put in the press on 3/4" arbor plates on their side to maximize strength and the worm is pressed on in my 20 ton press. Never let the shaft contact the bottom of the press or put pressure on it as it will bend VERY easily with about 1 ton of pressure and the worm won't move either on or off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000240.JPG (146.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1000241.JPG (141.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1000242.JPG (146.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1000243.JPG (146.0 KB, 32 views)
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post

I use a collet to hold the shaft in the press. The device James pictured works on the same principle. Find a machine shop with a 20 ton or more press and a selection of collets to hold the shaft. Its a bit of a way for you to go to LA, but I suspect Mel Gross or Tom Endy have one. There are some good A machinists in the Modesto club. You might try calling Brad Richter in Fresno and ask who he recommends in your area.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Richard/Ca

Thank you very much James I was told by several people that was the easy DIY way.(Live and learn right) Pat I will try the Modesto A's I don't get around Model A people to much. Just don't like asking for help. Really don't like going to just any machinist I have had a couple of parts ruined already. Modesto A sound good. Thank again for all the
great advice. And thank you Minn Tex-Lee for letting me use your Thread. Richard/Ca.
P.S. After I get the worm gear on the shaft I will use the rest of the above on this thread to put my column together.

Last edited by Richard/Ca; 06-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote