Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Still no spark

I've replaced the points, coil, coil wire, new cap and I've been all over it with a ohm meter. The ohm meter gives an "open" when the points are open and a "closed" when the points closed. I checked the gap of the points and re gaped them to .015. When they're closed, I get a continuity reading between them. When they're open, I get nothing. Everything seems fine on the low tension side of the coil. I reversed the connections to the coil, thinking maybe that would make a difference, but it didn't. Everything appears correct on the high tension side, yet no spark! However, the coil is not grounded, it seems like it should be. What am I overlooking?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: Still no spark

condensor? will the coil spark when you open and close the points manually?
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
700rpm

Your points should be about .020.

When you turn your key on and scratch the distributor end of your ignition cab;e on a head nut, do you have spark? If yes, then the problem is in the distributor. If no, then the problem is in your switch.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Starting with the points closed, are you getting a spark at the points if you use a small screwdriver to open them? Similar to ford1's question.....if you ground the high tension lead and open the points, are you getting a spark to ground? Color? What do you mean by saying that the coil s/b grounded?
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
jkeesey

Your points should be gapped 18-22. 18 on new points so when they wear they are still in spec. Your coil is grounder to your distributor. That's where the spark comes from when the points close it grounds the coil and sends spark out the coil wire. Remove your coil wire and place it close to a ground and with the key on manually open and close the points with a peice of wood or plastic and you should get a spark.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

One end of the coil secondary is the hot wire that goes to the plugs. The other end of the secondary windings is soldered to one of the primary posts, so it grounds through the primary circuit, and the coil body does NOT need to be grounded.

The spark is generated by the rapidly collapsing magnetic field when the points OPEN. The condenser forms a tuned circuit with the primary winding and helps to maintain the high voltage for a longer period of time. The condenser also helps to keep the points from arcing when they open. When the points close the magnetic field is built up around the coil windings again and the cycle repeats for each cam lobe.

To check for spark I just hold the coil wire about 1/4" from a head nut while I reach the starter switch and push the rod down with the key on. If no spark, then I remove the dist. cap and stop the engine with the points open. Turn the key on and short the points with the blade of a screwdriver (off-on, etc.) If I now have spark at the coil wire, then I know I need to clean the points contacts. If I still have no spark, then I need to work back and see where the 6 volts dropped off. Sometimes it's poor contacts in a repro switch, as happened to me a few years ago on my 28. Sometimes it's the repro switch contacts touching the gas tank and grounding out, as has also happened to me about 10 years ago on my 29 Tudor.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Gee Tom, ever think about being a teacher? In a few sentences, you've answered some questions that I've been scratching my head over for a long time. I suspected a "Internal" ground for the secondary windings but didn't ever get a ohm meter on it.
So, I got a weak spark at the head nut. The spark won't jump more than 1/8 ". Usually a spark will jump 3/4" with no trouble. Also, the spark is frequent , but intermittent. Maybe this is caused by small, slight movements of my hand, I can't say for sure. But the spark is not getting out to the plugs.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
One end of the coil secondary is the hot wire that goes to the plugs. The other end of the secondary windings is soldered to one of the primary posts, so it grounds through the primary circuit, and the coil body does NOT need to be grounded.

The spark is generated by the rapidly collapsing magnetic field when the points OPEN. The condenser forms a tuned circuit with the primary winding and helps to maintain the high voltage for a longer period of time. The condenser also helps to keep the points from arcing when they open. When the points close the magnetic field is built up around the coil windings again and the cycle repeats for each cam lobe.

To check for spark I just hold the coil wire about 1/4" from a head nut while I reach the starter switch and push the rod down with the key on. If no spark, then I remove the dist. cap and stop the engine with the points open. Turn the key on and short the points with the blade of a screwdriver (off-on, etc.) If I now have spark at the coil wire, then I know I need to clean the points contacts. If I still have no spark, then I need to work back and see where the 6 volts dropped off. Sometimes it's poor contacts in a repro switch, as happened to me a few years ago on my 28. Sometimes it's the repro switch contacts touching the gas tank and grounding out, as has also happened to me about 10 years ago on my 29 Tudor.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

What's your voltage?? At the batt, junction box,points.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Modern points???
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
pat in Santa Cruz

the last time I experienced the same problem, it turned out to be a defective brand new coil. That was 2 months ago. Apparently a bad batch was sent out to several suppliers. I got one from FS, which they acknowledged they had been having trouble with the recent batch and replaced promptly.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

The coil is a Chinese made replacement for a Ford 8N tractor (4cyl, 6V + ground) I'm thinking of swapping it with the coil from the coupe and see what happens. Because it was new, I figured I had that base covered.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
the last time I experienced the same problem, it turned out to be a defective brand new coil. That was 2 months ago. Apparently a bad batch was sent out to several suppliers. I got one from FS, which they acknowledged they had been having trouble with the recent batch and replaced promptly.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Terry, NJ

No, they're NOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Modern points???