Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #21
jeepguy1948

Default Re: replace old grease fittings

The "new style" fittings are called Zerks, the old style is not Zerks they are just "grease fittings". The "Press in" Zerks that look like the have threads but don't, are threaded Zerks that have had most of the threads ground off. This last item is just my opinion' I prefer the the Zerk fittings because they have a check valve in them. Any joint which is under pressure (which is a lot of them) such as tie rod ends, drag link ends, etc. etc. will push the grease right back out. There is a reason that Zerks were invented not just because somebody named Zerk decided to answer a question that nobody had asked. The Zerk fittings also are a lot easier to fill because the grease gun has something to grab hold of. In addition to all that, I have added Zerks in several places that Henry should have installed but didn't (just my opinion) such as the pedal bushings. It is not hard to drill and tap a 1/4-28 hole.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #22
ModelAArmy

Nkaminar and Curtis

Thanks for your info. It is making sense now
ModelAArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
baba

Very helpful, Model A Army and I are going to have some fun figuring out which goes where. I think the fact that the press in fittings have round bases and the screw in don't should help. I am waiting for my delivery from Snyders.
baba is offline   Reply With Quote