Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
P.S.

Default How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

Wife comes up with some interesting questions now and then.

We're staying in a cabin that has satellite TV. Have had the TV glued to the "Velocity Channel" almost the whole time, just mesmerized by the auctions and some of the silly, low budget classic car collector shows.

So, the questions comes up, "How come car snobs (her terminology for the car collectors) hate Model As??" I don't have an answer. I know Model As aren't particularly collectible due to large numbers of them still around, and what not. But, even Jay Leno has a Model T but sorta bags on Model As in one of his videos. I'm at a loss. What do I tell her? Why do the car snobs turn their noses up at stock (non rodded) Model As?

I thought Model As were ideal because they are like classic cars you can actually drive all the time without feeling guilty. Not rare or impossible to repair, etc.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

You're wife's got it right: They're snobs. Model As are just too "common" for the one percenters.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
griffincat

Good question. It is really hard to say, but it oculd be partially because of their value? They are really very reasonably priced, and maybe there are not enough bragging rights attached to owning a nice model A. Not liking saying you have a cuda with a hemi. There is a lot of history and these are great vehicles. I never thought much of A's but now this past month I bought two of them and am hooked. I love the fact that an average working man can afford to buy them and have fun as a family with them.
griffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
griffincat

As far as them being too common, maybe but I see way more chevelles, mustangs, etc. than I do A's. They look awesome restored to original condition and make some sweet hot rods, which should make them appeal to a wide range of people. It does seem however that if you have a 31 hot rod coupe, it will never be as good as a 32 in the minds of many.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Roadster62

Paul, Please let us know what type of cars your "Snob" friends have, my guess is they are late model people Mustang Camero etc. Bob
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They are very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one and they are not a status symbol. They are cute liitle cars with possibly a million or so still in existance ! Even though I own many antique cars and 6 Model A's I still realize people don't respect them. I heard a comment at a car show to the affect that anyone can afford a Model A!
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Flathead

Who cares what other people think.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Roadster62

Figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulShinn View Post
We don't have any car snob friends. We have very few friends to begin with. This comes as a result of TV shows and internet research only.

In fact, the only regular friend (other than people we befriended through Model A clubs) we have with an old car, he happens to have a 29 Tudor.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Who cares what other people think.

+1 to that.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
P.S.

We sure don't care what people think. Wife just asked a simple question, I was trying to formulate an answer.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
They are very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one and they are not a status symbol. They are cute liitle cars with possibly a million or so still in existance ! Even though I own many antique cars and 6 Model A's I still realize people don't respect them. I heard a comment at a car show to the affect that anyone can afford a Model A!

Excellent! A real answer. That's all I asked for. Thank you! I'll forward the info to her, this should make sense.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Napa Skip

The way people act in society has been characterized (by David Riesman, co-author of "The Lonely Crowd") as tradition-directed (acting according to the norms of earlier generations), inner-directed (acting according to their own beliefs, often based on experience) and other-directed (acting in whatever way will gain approval from others; that is, their own self-worth derives from the constant assurance of others that they are acting "correctly" with regard to what they own, consume and believe).

I suspect that most Model "A" owners, besides - in the best Lake Wobegon tradition - all being above average, are inner-directed. We own, drive, repair and maintain our Model "A"s because that's what we like, whether others agree or not.

Besides, they're well engineered and well built.

And they look sharp.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 09-12-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Richard Wilson

Many collectors think of the Model A as an "entry level" collector car. They are easy to find, relatively easy and cheap to restore, and simple to maintain. Most parts are easy to find with a little effort. In the last 40 years many Model A's have become "1-800" cars because of the many ill fitting foreign made reproduction parts. Lots of Model A owners also own other non-Model A collector cars. Personally, I would rather own one good Model A than a dozen Camaros.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Barney

Hi Guys,
I think there are too many A's. And they are not expensive. But it does not bother me when so called collectors do not like A's. When I'm at a car-show, and place my A next to a Rolls Phantom, conjures my A no less smiles in the face of the visitor than the Rolls.
I'm always surprised, like a model A acts on the people. Everyone is smiling, everyone has fun. So it should be.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
griffincat

They are fun cars at shows. It is fun to let kids sit in them and get their picture taken. They are definatley crowd pleasers.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
ronn

Think of it this way-
every car show Model A's-40 Fords and 57 chevies.... sometimes becomes boring

guy drives up in an Auburn and because they are so rare, everyone drools!

same can be said for totally original cars-put one in a field of restored cars and guess which one everybody migrates too?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Mitch

One time I went to rent storage space from a fellow I used to know. He collected Indian motorcyles and had a few old chevys. He told me that Model A's were like ass...oles, everybody had one. There are other words for some of them than snobs.

Naturally, he did not get my business.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Aok

No answer but if works for me. If A's were a big $$ item I would not be driving one
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
griffincat

I'm sure glad I found this place. You A guys and gals are alright!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Ross/Kzoo

I think that car collectors feel that the potential for large profits doesn't lay in the Model A's. They're looking a quick return on their money. Very little interest in the actual product.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote