Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
nospartsman
BANNED

Default My ship came in

Although not V8 it has been in the past. This 20 ft container load from Uruguay was sent to me by a friend from Argentina. Consists of three 1929 Model A Phaeton bodies, 16 Roadster/Phaeton doors, two Roadster cowls, some Coupe doors and four 1940/41 Willys hoods. My friend scrounged this stuff in Uruguay beating the bushes, it's getting very hard to do, all those Picker and Gas Monkey shows are running in the South American countries too. Plus good stuff is drying up, it's getting to be the end of an era. We use to send 40 ft containers direct to Hershey with V8 open car bodies, no more, can't find them. Anyone need a Race of Gentlemen tub project?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1414.jpg (52.2 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1410.jpg (50.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415.jpg (90.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1424.jpg (66.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (89.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (90.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1422.jpg (100.7 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by nospartsman; 07-29-2015 at 11:39 AM.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
super flat

Default Re: My ship came in

Looks like some good stuff! Gary
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
texas webb

Cool load.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Fordors

You got the truck driver to help with the unloading? Wow, sometimes the stars do align! BTW, nice haul.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
nospartsman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
You got the truck driver to help with the unloading? Wow, sometimes the stars do align! BTW, nice haul.
Yes the truck driver volunteered to help unload without asking. I asked where he was from and he said Cuba. I asked how he got here to see if he risked his life on a raft. No he said he came through Mexico and walked in, but it cost him $10,000. Considering what Cubans earn in a year, it would be like an American paying $500,000 to enter Switzerland. I offered him $20 for the help; he wouldn't take it.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
37 Coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
Although not V8 it has been in the past. This 20 ft container load from Uruguay was sent to me by a friend from Argentina. Consists of three 1929 Model A Phaeton bodies, 16 Roadster/Phaeton doors, two Roadster cowls, some Coupe doors and four 1940/41 Willys hoods. My friend scrounged this stuff in Uruguay beating the bushes, it's getting very hard to do, all those Picker and Gas Monkey shows are running in the South American countries too. Plus good stuff is drying up, it's getting to be the end of an era. We use to send 40 ft containers direct to Hershey with V8 open car bodies, no more, can't find them. Anyone need a Race of Gentlemen tub project?
You mention the American Pickers show I believe and mayby insinuate that they clue everyone in to high prices on parts and such ? I myself cannot believe what they pay for rusty signs and motorcycle frames some which could be fabricated .Last winter though they had an episode where they bargained for an Eco Airmeter,the tire inflator that most gas stations used in the fifties and sixties. I think they priced it at around $150.00-$200.00. I have an original and the very next day a good friends wife calls me and wants me to sell mine to her for his Christmas present and quotes the Picker Price. She also wants me or ask me to check out a local auction that has one listed. I try to tell her that she should check out Ebay and she tells me she has but they go for $500-$1500.00. She would not believe me that that is probably what she is looking at to get him one.So that time the Pickers went the wrong way on "setting the price"
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
FordMike

You got a 23 1/2 foot seabox full of phaeton and roadster stuff. I wouldn't consider that too bad haha. Sure wish I had roadster doors laying around like that, my 29 could use a drivers one
FordMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Doctor's Ford

I can confirm that TV shows like the American Pickers and many others (all from the US) about car restorations are very popular nowadays in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay. I'm sure they have contributed to the perception that any piece of rusted iron is worth a fortune. I gave up on trying to buy anything for vintage cars in this area. It is a lot cheaper and easier to find parts in the US. Plus there is the misperception that this hobby is only for the wealthy, so as soon as the word "antique" or "classic" car is mentioned the price goes to the roof. I was offered a spot light for $ 600 at a fair few months ago and when I checked on e-bay the same one went for $100-120. And any rotten car from the 40s, 50s or 60s usually without engine and in need of complete restoration - or I shall say fabrication - rusted to the bones never costs less than "10 thousand grants", which is the magical figure around here. Talking about 4 door sedans since the more valuable styles vanished long ago to the US and Europe.
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote