Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
oldford2

Default lifter weights

On my next rebuild I will be using "solid" lifters and butt grinding the stems. Note the weights of the 3 lifters below.

Adjustable, solid for mushroom stems, and solid for later stems. Note how light the last one is compared to the adjustable one which is hollow. Some adjustables are not hollow and just have the spiral groove cast in so are probably heavier yet. I think I have enough used ones that will just require a light grind (.002?) on the top and bottom to clean up. I will check Joblot and Dick Spadora to see if theirs are USA.
So, I guess my question is how important is lifter weight in a stock engine? Thanks, John

oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: lifter weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
On my next rebuild I will be using "solid" lifters and butt grinding the stems. Note the weights of the 3 lifters below.

Adjustable, solid for mushroom stems, and solid for later stems. Note how light the last one is compared to the adjustable one which is hollow. Some adjustables are not hollow and just have the spiral groove cast in so are probably heavier yet. I think I have enough used ones that will just require a light grind (.002?) on the top and bottom to clean up. I will check Joblot and Dick Spadora to see if theirs are USA.
So, I guess my question is how important is lifter weight in a stock engine? Thanks, John

In a stock engine, almost anything will work.
By the way, the solid adjustables weigh around 110 grams.
The lighter the lifters, the less load on the total valve train and that equates to longer life, however, cam and lifter wear was never a problem with these stock engines.
When you have your lifters refaced, be sure they are NOT done flat.

Here's a pic of lifters that have been lightened to 33 grams for racing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drilled lifters.jpg (53.0 KB, 75 views)
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
ford3

the lighter the lifter the more rpm the engine is able to handle, less valve float
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In a stock engine, almost anything will work.
By the way, the solid adjustables weigh around 110 grams.
The lighter the lifters, the less load on the total valve train and that equates to longer life, however, cam and lifter wear was never a problem with these stock engines.
When you have your lifters refaced, be sure they are NOT done flat.

Here's a pic of lifters that have been lightened to 33 grams for racing.
Pete, I have heard that but do you think new lifters (solid or adjustable) are ground with a slight (?) crown? With my new Mitchell (2200 rpm @ 60 mph), I am not too worried about valve float.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Pete

All Ford lifters were ground flat in the early days. I don't know exactly when they started
doing them with a taper but it was probably after the war.
The reason for the taper is to make the lifter rotate which makes it last longer.(even wear)
The cam is ground with a matching taper. All new lifters are taper ground as far as I know.
As a side note, the original Ford drawing spec called for a 96 inch radius on the lifter face.
I have checked many NOS lifters and they are NOT ground radiused (spherical). They are straight tapered. Also, Ford did not have any grinding equipment capable of spherical radius grinding.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Back in the late 80's/early 90's the hollow adjustable were not avalable an we used solid adjustable 9N tractor lifters. Although these engines were street enginer they still turned over 4 grand with no trouble. All this in 50/55LBs of spring pressure. Lov them flatheads, no push rods or rocker arms.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote