Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
sunnyorm

Default How Do U Store/Find

Many of us restorers have ways we store our extra Parts.

This post is to open discussion on Your way of "Storing and locating" Ideas.
sunnyorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: How Do U Store/Find

Store? Chronologically. The longer I've had it, the deeper it is buried!
Find is a whole 'nother problem. Which building is it in?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Store? Chronologically. The longer I've had it, the deeper it is buried!
Find is a whole 'nother problem. Which building is it in?
Can't find it or remember if you have it, so you buy another.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Don't wrap parts in paper, and don't store them in cardboard boxes. I found out the hard way in the 70's with a bunch of Corvair parts. The mice loved the paper.

Oil metal parts and store them in heavy plastic or metal containers. Don't store plastic and leather parts in a humid basement. They will grow mold. I have a few original distributor bodies and caps growing mold right now.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Roadster62

If there is space on a shelf I place the part there, maybe in the garage loft. heavy stuff is in the yard. I cut the top off a '56 Buick and have had a 1930 chassis under it for over five years now. Bob
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
fordcoupe

I use plastic totes for storage of xtra parts try to keep like parts together mark totes stack them up they stay hi and dry the only problum i went from one tote to fifty thank goodness i have them marked
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Doug in NJ

It you have an attic, try to store parts there. The heat in the summer is much less damaging that the the humidity of a basement.

And don't forget sturdy ziploc bags for all the little screws, etc. when you take something apart.

Doug
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Skeezixx

For me it's sort of like an archeological dig. If I remember a part from one or two years ago it's probably near the top of the pile. If it's been over five years I have to dig a little deeper. If I think I remember having something specific from a long time ago it may be buried in the prehistoric stratum and depending upon what it is and who wants it, it may be worth the effort to mount an excavation to retrieve it.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Logan

My storing habits are really bad. Things tend to stay where I last set them down, until I need to move them to get to something. Then they stay where I set them down until I need to move them again.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
bart78

I tend to take after my grandfather. When it comes to storing parts. A pile of fenders outside on this side of the shop. And doors on this side. Frames leaned up against the shop. A pile of wheels. I try to keep motors and stuff inside. But until I get my new shop built. I'm cramped for inside storage.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
MrWzrd
BANNED

I use 1 quart or 1 gallon double zip lock bags, left over silica packs from electronics (ask your friend for them, you'll have too many) and rubbermaid containers.

I put the part, without packaging if new, in the bag. Usually will include the end tab of a box if available for identification.
Toss in a silica pack if rust can be an issue and seal.
Use a Sharpie marker to label the outside of bag as to contents.

All bags go into Rubbermaid double flip top stack-able containers. I prefer the half heights ones for most parts as it keeps me from tossing parts on top. There is only one layer of parts. Easy to go through to find a part. Container is labeled and put on shelf.

On a major resto I will use different containers for each section.

I started using this method when I changed to doing parts cleanup and overhaul as I disassembled the vehicle. Everything being bagged was ready to be installed. I have found this method more fun on both the disassembly and assembly phases as there is an immediate gratification. (pull the water pump, overhaul it and bag it. Pull a fender, overhaul it and store it. etc. When it is time for assembly it is a nice clean operation of already to go parts.)
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
glenn in camino

I store finished parts in a room on the second floor of my garage. Small parts I buy at swap meets are kept in labeled bin boxes in a garage cabinet. I know it sounds anal, but I can almost always find the part I need.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Jim Huseby

My parts are piled up in the barns and pasture. It looks like I don't know how to organize, but I really do. Sturdy free-standing shelving from Home Depot, etc. with 3/4" plywood shelves (not the pressed fiber ones that warp quickly) gets lots of parts into a small tidy area, and several matched sets of these lined up like soldiers looks good. Numbered plastic bins lined up on the shelves look good. It's not hard to make an inventory sheet of the general type of parts in each numbered box. I learned this from Frank Robinson. Another way is to use an old parts catalog as a reference to use the factory part numbers to label the parts, if you have the time and inclination. Motorcycle aerosol chain lube will protect parts from rusting for decades including bearing surfaces. Caution, chain lube has such good staying power that it cannot be easily removed from floors, walls, etc. 'Just a couple things I've learned. Now, what's the trick to changing my ways and actually getting organized?
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

Basicly I store things wherever I can. It can make cleaning and organizing a treasure hunt of sorts. Over the years I have gotten more organized, but still have a long ways to go. Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001465.jpg (115.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IM004587.jpg (78.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IM004588.jpg (79.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IM004589.jpg (68.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IM004590.jpg (85.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IM004593.jpg (86.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IM004594.jpg (77.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IM004595.jpg (77.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IM001240.jpg (78.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IM001241.jpg (83.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IM001242.jpg (77.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IM001243.jpg (82.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IM001244.jpg (88.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IM004574.jpg (77.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

everything I have is stored in bubble envelopes with a tag, then noted on paper and the list is then in the box and in a notebook for that specific car. Neat, clean and organized..."I hope"
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
everything I have is stored in bubble envelopes with a tag, then noted on paper and the list is then in the box and in a notebook for that specific car. Neat, clean and organized..."I hope"
What, no cross-referenced smart-phone readable QR code labeling with photos, product description, application, pricing and storage location? You're the tech-savvy guy. Time to catch up with the real world! With facebook links, everybody could also check everybody else's Model A stock worldwide.

Just generate sheets of multiple QR stickers as drupal nodes linked to your website. This would work great with your Disney stuff as well. Start coding!

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
FordMike

We have no zoning laws in my town so I store my old parts in junk cars. It works out nice, keeps the stuff dry, and if someone comes and asks me for something I just tell them what car to dig through! Of course all the real good stuff is in the building.
FordMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcoupe View Post
I use plastic totes for storage of xtra parts try to keep like parts together mark totes stack them up they stay hi and dry the only problum i went from one tote to fifty thank goodness i have them marked
I don't have a lot of "big" parts. So the smaller parts I do the same, using plastic totes with lids.

I got a bunch of them from Home Depot rather cheap, most one size but a few bigger for larger parts. Then I put a label on each tote with a number. Then I start putting parts in totes, don't need to sort them by type. Because I make a list by name-like Distributor-rotor followed by the tote number, using the main part type as the left most part of the description.

After the list is finished, I key the name of the part and the tote number into an Excel spread sheet. Then you can sort the column that has the name in it by alpha and you have a list of all your parts in alpha order which gives you the tote number where that part is stored. Stack all the totes on a shelve or in the coroner and when you need a part, you look to see if you have it on your list (which is in alpha order by major part) and then go to that tote by number and there is your part (you hope, unless you already used it). Print the list out and put it on a clip board. Having a paper list then gives you something to write on when you use/add parts.

It is best if you stick to one or two size totes which makes it easer to store the totes.

Hope this is not to complicated.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
I use 1 quart or 1 gallon double zip lock bags, left over silica packs from electronics (ask your friend for them, you'll have too many) and rubbermaid containers.

I put the part, without packaging if new, in the bag. Usually will include the end tab of a box if available for identification.
Toss in a silica pack if rust can be an issue and seal.
Use a Sharpie marker to label the outside of bag as to contents.

All bags go into Rubbermaid double flip top stack-able containers. I prefer the half heights ones for most parts as it keeps me from tossing parts on top. There is only one layer of parts. Easy to go through to find a part. Container is labeled and put on shelf.

On a major resto I will use different containers for each section.

I started using this method when I changed to doing parts cleanup and overhaul as I disassembled the vehicle. Everything being bagged was ready to be installed. I have found this method more fun on both the disassembly and assembly phases as there is an immediate gratification. (pull the water pump, overhaul it and bag it. Pull a fender, overhaul it and store it. etc. When it is time for assembly it is a nice clean operation of already to go parts.)
thats what i did, i pull a starter off, clean it up and repair/replace parts, paint and store. same with generator, headlights, etc. so soon oh so very soon i will be able to assemble my painted model kit haha. Sure if i had the frame first i would have somehting to put all these parts on but i didnt... It gets interesting storing essentially 4 cars in a 2.5 car garage... thankfully VW Ghia parts look nothign like model A parts haha so thier all just on a few shelves in the garage. I have accumulated doubles and triples of stuff unfortinately but ones always better than the other. OInce the truck is done and running i will be selling off alot of the spare parts.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Here is some of my rusty parts

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote