Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #41
VeryTangled

Default Re: blue dot tail lights

Yup. Not from the era so I don' know fer sure.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-27-2015 at 01:19 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #42
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
What was the original purpose of the blu dot? Just lookin kool??
If you are a conspires you probably believe it was the Gov. that put them on the market that way they could keep track of all the HOT RODDERS
AKA ( Rebels / Trouble makers )
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #43
the cooch

I was under the impression ( from what those dastardly old hotorodders told me) is that those were first popularized by the cars that no one could "come up on" from behind and drivers who did not WANT to be seen well- after passing! In my lifetime they have been adopted by cruisers so it took a while for me to understand the true (possibly hitherto unspoken) purpose on hot rods. They're like kinda the polar opposite of fuzzy dice in my mind when checking the "style" or "vintage" of a build- cruising vs. Street racing....
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #44
Barlea

Google tells me that blue dot tail lights were stock on the 1932 Cadillac. Rumbleseat mentioned that in one of his road trip stories. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #45
sidevalve8ba

Blue dots will get you a ticket in Virginia. From what I understand blue lights are only okay on cop cars.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #46
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
Blue dots will get you a ticket in Virginia. From what I understand blue lights are only okay on cop cars.
They did get me stopped and a warning/repair ticket in Georgia as reported in my earlier post #4. I'm not sure how the police here in Maryland would view having them on your car. The stock taillight lens area on my '35's are rather small in diameter, so when the halogen bulbs came on, all you could see from the rear of my car was a bluish color rather than red. The cop felt they were a safety issue and I had to agree once I took a good look at them when I was standing 30 to 40 feet behind my car. To me it was not about disliking their looks, but rather a feeling of being unsafe on the road at night, when cars were approching fast from the rear. How many modern cars do you see on the road equipt with blue dots in the taillights? I can't recall seeing any.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #47
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
They did get me stopped and a warning/repair ticket in Georgia as reported in my earlier post #4. I'm not sure how the police here in Maryland would view having them on your car. The stock taillight lens area on my '35's are rather small in diameter, so when the halogen bulbs came on, all you could see from the rear of my car was a bluish color rather than red. The cop felt they were a safety issue and I had to agree once I took a good look at them when I was standing 30 to 40 feet behind my car. To me it was not about disliking their looks, but rather a feeling of being unsafe on the road at night, when cars were approching fast from the rear. How many modern cars do you see on the road equipt with blue dots in the taillights? I can't recall seeing any.
That's because it is very hard to HOT ROD a rice rocket .
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #48
toby

I found a set of "Green" Dots for my 50 Coupe years ago. I found out that you need to find bulbs with the same orientation ( filaments/ tangs)so you get the best light from them. Have been using them in Wisconsin for 30 years and never have been stopped (although they are illegal).
toby is offline   Reply With Quote