Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default Sheer Stupidity....

I was out of town for several months and therefore my '34 sat idle during that time. I went to start it up today with the choke pulled out and it turned over strong but wouldn't fire. I pumped it several times but still no fire. After several minutes of this, I finally became aware that I did not have the ignition switch turned ON. Needless to say, the engine was flooded with the choke pulled out and all of the pumping. It finally fired up shortly after I turned the switch on. As much as I hate to say it, I must admit that this is not the first time I've done this - sheer stupidity on my part.

I'm curious to know what degradation I may have caused to the oil in flooding the engine like this. The oil is fairly fresh with less than 100 miles on it and I rather not change it. Should I be concerned about degradation of the oil? Will the fuel in the oil eventually evaporate without causing harm?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Sheer Stupidity....

Probably no fuel in the oil. FYI, aircraft engines in cold weather had gas dumped in the oil. It made them easier to start in the cold. It evaporated when the engine warmed up. Think two cycle. Don't worry.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
koates

Hi Pete, I have a 34 sedan like yours and must admit I have a couple of times forgot to flick the switch on. I should think that most of that rich mixture would have been pushed out of the exhaust anyhow. You will be good to go in that great 34 flathead. When starting mine from cold I don't turn the ignition switch on but just crank the engine with about 1/4 choke on for about 5 to 8 seconds. This also gets the oil up a bit and then I flick the switch on and away we go just like Bonnie & Clyde. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
WestCoast

some fuel may have worked past the rings, but the vapors will soon evaporate as you run the car and the oil heats up. you cant get enough gas in the oil by the way you described, no harm done, and that's what is called brain fade, I get a lot of those moments
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
4dFord/SC

If it's any consolation, at least you didn't leave the switch ON for several months.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 AM   #6
Kpar

Been there done that(a couple of times) what is it with us flathead owners. We seem to forget things while our fords just keep on keeping on.
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

When not using any vehicle for a while, I suggest taking it for a long drive to bring the temp up for a while. A 20 minute rife just doesn't do it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Mart

The fact that it fired up pretty well straight away shows you did not really flood it. If you do flood it, slowly press the accelerator to the floor and hold it there while cranking. Be prepared to release it quickly as it fires up.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Ralph Moore

Did the same thing myself recently. Went To a car show, when it was time to leave I jumped in and cranked- nothing, got out and checked engine, all was ok for back inside the car and looked yep switch was off.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
RKS.PA

Okay, this isn't Ford related, but we went down to the 41st. Rodder Show on the University of Az Mall In Tucson, back in May. We got a new Toyota Highlander after our 2000 4-Runner died. It's got the remote ignition control. There was a lot of noise....beautiful engine sounds....in the covered parking garage as we left the car. I had the remote in my pocket, locked the car, but forgot to turn off the engine. It was a great show, as those of you who where there will attest...but when we got back to the car after two hours....it was still running!!!! Not good for the MPG calculations......blame it on the "age of the boy and CMS"!!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
189j40

the older I get the better I use to be !!
189j40 is offline   Reply With Quote