Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
HOTRODRON

Default Question on 1947 mercury frame

How did they get the longer wheelbase on the merc frame. Longer frame from firewall forward.or added frame at both ends thanks for any help
HOTRODRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Question on 1947 mercury frame

The Mercury frame is longer from the firewall forward. Mercury used the same bodies as Ford, but used a longer front clip(Mercury hood and front fenders are Mercury only).
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
RalphM

I've always heard that the frames are the same, just different mounting holes for the crossmember and wishbone.
One way to find out for sure, my friend has a Mercury, and I have a Ford, and a tape measure.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I've always heard that the frames are the same, just different mounting holes for the crossmember and wishbone.
One way to find out for sure, my friend has a Mercury, and I have a Ford, and a tape measure.
You WILL find that they ARE different. Interesting picture below of a Merc frame and front axle/wishbone assembly. The most-interesting feature in this pic is Ford's (Mercury's) solution to keep from building 4"-longer wishbone assemblies for the Mercs. That bracket hanging off of the wishbone ball bolts in place to extend the wishbone ball mount 4" farther forward than on a Ford. They obviously kept the CENTER crossmember in the Ford location. This means that only the frame rails were lengthened (for the Mercs) between the center crossmember and the front crossmember. It also appears that the FRONT engine mount locations have been moved rearward from the FRONT crossmember by about 4" on a Merc. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
HOTRODRON

Thanks ford barners
HOTRODRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
rustythumb

i have also been told by experts that the frames are the same! the front crossmember is moved 4 " forward & longer bumper brackets are used. the frames have extra holes for the crossmember placement.
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
RalphM

Well now I'm going to have to measure them.
It makes sense that the Mercury engine mounts would have to be moved back if you moved the crossmember forward. This would also mean the transmission and engine sit in the exact same position in the car as a Ford.
Also in your picture the front frame brace looks closer to the front crossmember than on a Ford.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
RalphM

As evidenced in this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2149.jpg (74.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythumb View Post
i have also been told by experts that the frames are the same! the front crossmember is moved 4 " forward & longer bumper brackets are used. the frames have extra holes for the crossmember placement.
For those who continue to put your faith in your so-called "experts" that are often full of "it", consider these two drawings below of '46-'48 Ford and Mercury frames. Most-importantly, notice the difference in OVERALL length between the two frames. The FORD is 164.82" long, where-as the MERCURY is 168.82" in length. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
bobH

DD, you're the man. Also, I didn't notice it mentioned that the Merc steering column is longer than Ford, which means the steering gear is mounted more forward, compared to Ford. Another indication that Ford and Merc frames are different, at least in that area. Those of us that have fooled a little with both Ford and Mercs of similar years, probably have run across most of this info.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
RalphM

So where does it pick up the extra length at?
Kinda hard to tell as both drawings do not have the same measurement points?
Before the front crossmember, but after the firewall I'm guessing?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
So where does it pick up the extra length at?
Before the front crossmember, but after the firewall I'm guessing?
Exactly right! The two side rails are longer on the Merc (by 4") in front of the firewall. Like bobH said above, even the steering column was longer on the Mercs. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
rustythumb

is it possible that fords & mercs used the same frame in'41 only? i recently measured a friend's '41 merc frame from firewall forward & it was the same as my '46 ford.
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Yep, I found out the Merc column is longer way back when I was a teenager, Tried to put the column out of a 46 2Dr in my 48 Merc coupe sedan. Didn't work my knuckles hit the W/S . Well at least the thought was good. Found out later that it wasn't the steering box that was bad but the mounting bracket rivets where it fastens to the frame were broken and let the bracket move when turning.. It sure was fun..... NOT trying to thread that Merc between two parked cars. LOL
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythumb View Post
You need to take V8coopman's factory diagram to your "experts". Maybe they will learn something and quit calling themselves experts.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #16
Topher5150

I think the frames are the same with different front crossmembers that were slid forward a couple of inches. The 47 Ford coupe that I bought is sitting on a Mercury frame. Notice how far forward the front tires are, but the front clip still fits on the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.jpg (54.1 KB, 32 views)
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post
I think the frames are the same with different front crossmembers that were slid forward a couple of inches. The 47 Ford coupe that I bought is sitting on a Mercury frame. Notice how far forward the front tires are, but the front clip still fits on the frame.
Topher....Why are you having such a difficult time understanding this? It AIN'T complicated! Maybe you missed the OVERALL LENGTH dimensions on the two frame drawings above.....the Ford frame is 164.82" long, whereas the Merc Frame is 168.82" long.....a full 4" difference in length. The two frames ARE NOT the same "with different front crossmembers that were slid forward a couple of inches" as you say above. The front cross member on the Merc measures four inches farther forward than on a Ford frame.....hence, the Mercurys have a four-inch-longer wheelbase than a Ford. That four inch difference in length is designed to accommodate the Mercury front sheet metal which is, coincidentally, 4" longer than Ford fenders and hood. Body lengths are the same on both makes. If you'll note the mounting of your Ford fenders, they DO NOT mount to the frame. They mount to the cowl section of the body in the rear, and to who-knows-what in the front. By the way, I hope you have a Mercury steering column to use with that Merc frame, 'cuz a Ford steering column is gonna be far too short. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE