Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
ericr

Default repro sheet metal

I saw a thread containing numerous disgruntlements about Howell's in Texas, with guys saying they wouldn't buy a paperclip from them anymore, they were going to get their sheet metal elsewhere, blah blah blah. Thing is, without knowing who is making what-where-how etc., by going to a Snyder's or Bratton's, how is it going to be any different? Ideally one would hope a Snyder's or Bratton's might be inclined to inspect their incoming inventory to reduce returns from irate customers, but we have no proof that they do that.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
svm99

Default Re: repro sheet metal

I've purchased some repro sheetmetal from Synders and have asked were it was made, how cloes the stamping is to original and do the panels fit? This was after I purchased some 1/4 panel lower patches for a '28-'29 RPU which weren't even close, I returned them and bought Brookville complete panels which I'm pleased with.

As restorers we need to be proactive in our search for parts and I have found most suppliers to be very forthcoming when asked about the fit and quality of the parts. We must realize without these suppliers we wouldn't have anything new so I say we just keep working with them and I bet there will be a continuance of new improved items being released.

Have a good Saturday with a Ford.
Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
wrndln

I believe good model A parts suppliers will tell you where their parts come form. Not so with Mac's. I ask two different times a year or two apart and they snidely replied "They don't give out their vendor information". Needless to say, I haven't bought anything from them since. I know Bratton's will tell you where the parts come from if you ask, I believe Snyder's and Bert's will to. I agree, Brookville (Antique Auto Sheetmetal) makes many (but not all) nice sheetmetal items. BTW, I won't buy anything from Howell's again after a couple of cruddy item from them years ago.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 05-19-2012 at 06:37 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I believe good model A parts suppliers will tell you where their parts come form. Not so with Mac's. I ask two different times a year or two apart and they snidely replied "They don't give out their vendor information". Needless to say, I haven't bought anything from them since. I know Bratton's will tell you where the parts come from if you ask, I believe Snyder's and Bert's will to. I agree, Brookville (Antique Auto Sheetmetal) makes many (but not all) nice sheetmetal items.
Rusty Nelson
Man I am glad you told me that! Mac's online catalog has far clearer pics/drawings than either Bratton's or Snyder's....I find Snyder's web oage particularly hard to use. I was tempted to order from Mac's.....till now.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
30cabriolet

The reason to buy your sheet metal from Snyders or Brattons as opposed to buying it directly from Howells is........If it is not correct you can return it to Snyders or Brattons without any trouble. Good luck getting any customer service for a return to Howells. Had to file with the Texas attorney general and Better Business Bureau against Howells to get my money back.
30cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
pooch

I got ripped off by sullivan's garage in New Hampshire.

Next order is going to Bert's of Denver.

His shipping is very reasonable.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
zzlegend

Ordered sheet metal parts for my 27 roadster from Howells. Took 11 weeks. Next time i will order from a supplier like Snyders or Brattons and pay a little more but will ask if they have it in stock first. Howells hardly ever answers their phone and will not return calls. Very poor PR.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
TinCup

I ordered a header wood from them last week with no issues. Buddy ordered a hood for a 30 coupe with no issues. Yet I continue to hear these horror stories. Are they the only game in town so they do what they wish?
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Randy in ca

Howell's sells on eBay which gives you good recourse should you have any problems with them. Personally I haven't had any problems and it seems most of the complaints are related to shipping times and shipping damage (which might suggest they don't package stuff up as good as they should). In the last year on eBay they've had 1225 Positive feedback and only 7 negative, so they must be doing something right!!!
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
CC29Pickup

I am in need of running boards and splash aprons on my 29 82A. How is the quality and fit of the repro parts? I have been reading of the issues here with the fenders etc and would like to know what is in store, if I decide to pull the trigger and buy new ones.
CC29Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
John LaVoy

Rootlieb in Turlock makes the running boards and aprons and the fit is very good.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Pickupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
Rootlieb in Turlock makes the running boards and aprons and the fit is very good.
John, I checked with Rootlieb before Chickasha and they were not making any 28-29 Pickup Running Boards. Has something changed?
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote