Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
russcc

Default Flat towing a '40

I recall when went to the drags away back, we flat towed the '40 coupe. It towed great behind the '55, following perfectly and handling well. Any issues with flat towing ? The car is registered. If no issues, any suggestions on attaching the tow bar mounts to the frame ? Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
flatford39

Default Re: Flat towing a '40

You need to check with your local municipality first. Flat towing has been outlawed (for good reason) in most cities and states. Most guys just attached to their tow vehicles bumper without thought to how much that bumper could actually handle and no thought to how to brake it.

I have flat towed so many vehicles in my life I sometimes wonder how I survived it.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
19Fordy

In 1971 I flat towed my 40 290 miles from Poughkeepsie, NY to Wellfleet, Ma. using a 58 Pontiac and a home made towbar. No problems. Just hung a cardboard sign on the 40 saying "Car In Tow".
Those were the days. Doubt if it's legal today. I removed the front bumper and bolted thick steel flat stock thru the bumper bolt holes and then to the tow bar. I still have the tow bar, if you want it. Good luck. Just don't get into a "back up" situation.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-21-2017 at 08:10 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

I flat towed a 57 chevy with a 57 chevy, ONCE. I looked in the left mirror and could see about half of the chevy I was towing--broke a bolt in the U-Haul towbars. some good luck and a heavy foot saved the day LAST time I ever flat towed, flatford39, yeah I wonder why we all weren't killed with some of the stuff we got away with back then with cars
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
russcc

Thank you. Will check on the legality of flat towing first. I have a great car trailer, but it is pain in the butt to get the ramps out, load it, tie it down, untie it, unload it, ramps back for short trips. If it's not legal, a tow dolly will have to do. If it's legal, the bumper bolt holes with a substantial plates to mount the tow bar makes sense.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
russcc

Good equipment & safe driving solves a lot of problems.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
1931flathead

how far you have to
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
19Fordy

russcc: Holy Tow Bar!
Since you already have a nice trailer........use it.
The safety makes it worthwhile.
Bring another car guy with you, if you need help.

Times have changed and you would probably get into a lot of
legal trouble if something went wrong. Just not worth it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
J Witt

I routinely flat tow a small car behind my motor home. It's a convenient way to have a "tourist" vehicle when anchored at an RV park.

Most states have a maximum allowable weight for a towed vehicle for it to NOT have some active brakes. This is often 3000 lbs. Other requirements are the usual stuff about signal lights and safety chains. It is an OK way to move a vehicle from one place to the next, but meeting all the requirements can be a pain for a one-time or short haul. Also, for sure do not get into situations requiring more than a couple of feet of backing up -- the front end caster works against you!

Look up one of the RV forums and they will always have several threads on this subject. PM me if you'd like info about my setup.

John
Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

In today's world (think lawyers) If something bad happened you could be majorly screwed. If you do have a trailer, use it as it should have electric brakes and minimally surge brakes. As Chuck Yeager used to say "never wait for trouble".
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #11
funrunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Thank you. Will check on the legality of flat towing first. I have a great car trailer, but it is pain in the butt to get the ramps out, load it, tie it down, untie it, unload it, ramps back for short trips. If it's not legal, a tow dolly will have to do. If it's legal, the bumper bolt holes with a substantial plates to mount the tow bar makes sense.

I don't see how all that can be more difficult than removing the bumper, removing the bumper braces, installing a tow bar without touching the fenders, only to have to reverse all this once you arrive to your location.
Tow it on your trailer, get the straps that go over the wheels if you want to save time. I personally strap to the frame but it can take longer. I guarantee I could strap a car safely onto a trailer quicker than removing bumper and braces and installing tow bar. Good luck and be safe.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
russcc

Thank you for all you thoughts & ideas. Some perspectives I had not thought of. Checking into the legality of it first. Then if I go ahead, I will fab mounting plates that use the same mounting holes as the front bumper brackets, built so they drop the tow bar below bumper level so it stays in place. I am in the safety business, so it is just a way of doing things.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
A bones

I saw this thread just after it started, decided to wait to see if any one else would mention.

To clarify since I was a teen I have towed every which way I can imagine. rope or chain/with tire. tow bars, trailers- single and dual axles, with and without electric brakes, tow trucks (old plate/tire/wood timbers) rubber straps, wheel lift, rollback (not really a tow), and last big truck/18 wheel. OTR allowed me the time to see many others' mistakes, on the side of the road.

Anyway simply put, it always works better when the powered vehicle is at least as heavy or out-weighs the towed vehicle.

Last safety chains must be x'ed ( crossed ) This is not a debate!

I know I'm repeating myself, but too many times, out on the highway I've seen the look of people staring at their dream, ruined.

Flat tow is fun, just bring your best game. Once read in a book every time you go down the river its a different river.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #14
G.M.

Back in the 40's about all we had was a tow bar that clamped to the bumpers
of the tow car and the car being towed. It had the two clamps and a round bar
around 16 or 18"s long that pivoted up and down and sidewards on both ends. I think I still have one. G.M.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
flat 39

When we flat towed my friend's '57 Chevy to the drag strip, we had someone ride in the towed car "just in case".
flat 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
rockfla

You should have no mechanical issues flat towing your 40, we flat towed our 37 Woodie back in 1973 from Jax FL to Charlotte NC (Up I-95 to I-26 to I-77) for the Eastern National Meet, the only issue we had was back then....The state of NC paved their roads by laying rocks down, THEN coming back and putting tar-like material over the loose rocks....needless to say WE came through between said operation and our Lincoln threw rocks all into the front fenders of the Woodie and looked like a 'woodpecker" convention had a field day with the two front fenders!!!! Other than that, NO issues what so ever....at that time we had a tow bar made that mated up to the bumper brackets when the front bumper was removed!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
blucar

.Towing a vehicle with the wheels on the ground is a no brainer if you do it correctly.
Tow bar attached to the vehicle frame, safety cables/chains attached to the towed and towing vehicle. Lights controlled by the tow vehicle for stop, turn and tail. Brakes controlled by the tow vehicle if the towed vehicle weights more than 3,000 lbs. Brakes controlled by the tow vehicle is actually a good idea, RV stores have many options for these systems.
If the towed vehicle has a locking devise on the steering wheel it must be UNLOCKED while towing, ignition off. Check the owners manual for towing limitations.
Vehicles with manual steering gears should have a loose restraint (rope) attached to the steering wheel arm rest/door handle to avoid loss of control on turns if the steering goes over center and does not return to the center position.
An automatic trans can't be towed with the wheels on the ground, however, most manual transmissions can be towed in neutral.
The one big problem with towing a vehicle with wheels on the ground is road conditions. If roads under construction are encountered, it is a given that damage to the paint, glass will occur if you don't have a "Bra" protector on the towed vehicle.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
tubman

In 1961, a friend and I flat-towed a '55 Chevy from Duluth, Minnesota to the Twin Cities with '49 Plymouth. Back then, it was just moving a car, now, when I think about it........
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
russcc

Curious, what does a stock '40 coupe weigh ?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Curious, what does a stock '40 coupe weigh ?
Approximately 3000 lbs.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote