Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2024, 08:46 AM   #1
reggiedog

Question Dash Panels

HI:

Does anyone know as to what a original dash panel goes for that is in the original finish butler nickel, as I need to know what a original one goes for these days in that finish.

As I want to find one that is in that finish but even e bay don't have them as I looked and didn't find one it's just Chrome, that I could find and only new ones are the only ones that I could find.

Thanks let me know Reggiedog

Last edited by reggiedog; 02-01-2024 at 08:55 AM.
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #2
rackops

Default Re: Dash Panels

Last I've seen, something around $300 has been the going rate.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
reggiedog

That's what I thought there's one on e bay for $1,047.77 but it's chrome and new and I want a original one in Butler Nickel but I can't find one I have been looking for a long time now.
And when was this that you seen this for $300. just recently or a long time ago like how many years ago was this.
Reggiedog
Old 02-01-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
rackops

I've seen them for this within the last year. The seller who's asking $1000+ for them on eBay either has glitching listings or is fishing for a sucker.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #5
rackops

Here's a relatively updated thread about them:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326581
Old 02-01-2024, 01:36 PM   #6
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
there's one on e bay for $1,047.77
Reggiedog
Is that the same seller as the gas gauge? Or is it just a coincidence that the prices are similar?
Old 02-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

FWIW, the costs of Model-A items have been on the rise for the last several years. There are 3 reproduction gas gauges on eBay that are all priced near $1,000. Yes, I agree it is insane however maybe the reason is the Sellers know they are out of production and no one knows when, -or even if they will be back into production.

An original gas gauge correctly restored to a F/P level likely would sell between $500 and $800 (-depends on which gauge you are restoring) now by the time it is purchased and then restored with new plating on everything. It is a real struggle these days for many hobbyists because they are used to the prices that we had some 5-10 years ago.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:11 PM   #8
reggiedog

Brent,

I have a 31 gas gauge both of them are 31's and now you are the first to say they go for $500. to $800. if that's the case well mine just went up as I haven't found out what the plating would be on them, as of yet as I got a hold of Craig Ricker but he was going on vacation at that time and won't be back until March I told him to come and get me he just laughed.

Reggiedog
Old 02-01-2024, 02:41 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
Brent,

I have a 31 gas gauge both of them are 31's and now you are the first to say they go for $500. to $800. if that's the case well mine just went up as I haven't found out what the plating would be on them, as of yet as I got a hold of Craig Ricker but he was going on vacation at that time and won't be back until March I told him to come and get me he just laughed.

Reggiedog
The plating is only one aspect of restoring a gas gauge. Craig's prices are not always indicative of what other chrome shops charge. Also, there is labor involved, shipping & insurance involved, sourcing, paint, gaskets, etc. An early 1928 gas gauge that is complete and not all pitted will easily set you back over $125. Even a generic one without the magnifying glass now can be $50 or more by the time freight is factored in. Wait until you have experienced polishing those oval magnifying lens and see how labor intensive that task can be.

Now, with the above said I sure if someone wants to spend $250-$300 for out of pockets expenses, plus throw in their labor for free and sell their restored gauge for $150.00, likely there will be plenty of Buyers standing in line to take them off their hands.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #10
rackops

Looks like I should start restoring the ones I have...
Old 02-01-2024, 03:21 PM   #11
reggiedog

HI:

I just found out that they go for about $500. to $800. for the gas gauge so that's what I'm going to do in that area depending on the cost of the plating as it might be higher than that as I have no clue on that until I talk to Craig, and the labor on putting the stuff back together as I don't know what Craig Ricker charges for labor but I'm sure it's reasonable that is if he even does them.

Reggiedog
Old 02-01-2024, 07:06 PM   #12
Randy in ca

Bratton's shows the reproductions in stock for a normal price. Likely the other 2 on eBay with crazy prices are just fishing based on the $1000+ auction. But maybe not as they seem to be out of stock with many dealers. Maybe a sign of things to come as more and more items that have been readily available are no more(?).

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas Gauge Assembly - Bratton's.jpg (86.3 KB, 125 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:35 PM   #13
reggiedog

Now that's why the prices are going up on the stuff as I found that out today that most of the places that made the repo's stopped making them, so now the original stuff when it's available is going to sky rocket in the price as the ones that I will have for sale will be for $850. a piece as I have two dashes and one might have a speedometer along with it and that one will be over $1,200 and those might be going up depending on what I have to pay out to get them done in the original Butler Nickel with all the bells and everything included.