Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2022, 07:20 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Ultra "SAD" news here locally

Well, after years of trying to save and restore the plant......Modernization, "progress" and a different kind of "wealth" has finally doomed the Jacksonville Ford Assembly Plant. It was opened in 1924 and assembled cars through 1932 for export. From 1933 till the early 1960's it was used for distribution of Ford parts. From then on it has had its share of business using it for storage space or sitting vacant. IT was the ONLY Ford assembly/production facility in the whole of the State. ALSO unfortunately back in either the last 70's or early 80's the "FORD" script (OLD Ford Script) water tower was scrapped, It was a very visible landmark crossing the river bridge next to the plant and my Dad always talked of getting it and saving it!!! More Ford history lost and I suspect will be forgotten sooner than later!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9674F48A-9E55-46BF-BF7D-F07C79BFA394.jpg (30.2 KB, 218 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Ultra "SAD" news here locally

Seattle had 2 assembly plants. The one for model T and A's was built (over by where I-5 is now, Fairview street) on a hillside where the parts came down from above. It still exists as I believe a Shurgard Storage and i always looked for where the FORD sign used to be as you could see the marks where it was hung. I don't live in Seattle anymore but always looked at it. My neighbor when I first moved to Seattle in 1973, as a young man drove brand new Model T's from that plant over to Wilson Ford in Ballard a neighborhood of Seattle.
I am not sure when the second plant was built but it is on Marginal Way and was closed at the end of 1932 production, the smokestack is still standing. It must have been a pretty new facility, but the depression closed it. Currently the building is a Federal Records Center. Lorin Sorenson's wonderful series of books has pictures of new model A's parked in front of the 1st plant. At very near the end of his 1932 video, a new 32 roadster and phaeton come out of a side door next to a pier, and I fantasize that the roadster is the one I now have! The building, pier, windows and big door are still there looking exactly as they were in 1932.
At least these two buildings are still in use. The 32 plant is almost across the street from the best radiator shop in the area, Seattle Radiator.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
JimG

We have three buildings still standing in Buffalo where Fords were built in the past, plus we have a currently operating stamping plant. Here is a writeup on them, with pictures:

https://buffaloah.com/h/ford/ford.html
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
jayvee34

I remember the plant well as a youngster until now. Knew of men that
worked there. (88 yrs.)
Old 10-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
cas3

Americans obsession with " new-new-new" has always amazed me. Those old buildings were built to last a long time when compared to the ugly junk they build today
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
19Fordy

The goal is to eliminate knowledge of our heritage in thought, word and deed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
TJ

The government's "Urban Renewal Program" in the 70's destroyed thousands of old historical buildings. It happened in our town and thankfully some local residents were able to save a few of them. The local politicos thought it would be wonderful to get all that "free government money" to remake the town.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
5851a

The National Register of Historic Places, should have placed on that. Shame
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
Ford46

The current arguement is it's cheaper to build new than to remodel a existing building. Cost to meet current building codes (electrical, plumbing and access) drive the rehab costs sky high. So, history is torn down and a "modern" building is built. When a developer actually does a rehab the result is often spectacular, a case in point is the old "Keystone Camera" building near Boston was turned into apartments, beautiful looking building. Another, I've always liked is the Auburn Automobile Plant in Auburn, IN a stunning Art Deco building that is now the Auburn, Cord, Duesenburg Museum, absolutely stunning building. These are just a couple of examples that would have been a tragedy to demolished and are proof of what can be done.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
hotrodA

My 32 Tudor sedan was assembled there. # JE 1167
Being from Jax, I remember it well. On some valuable real estate on the river over by the Gator Bowl. That’s a real shame!
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
5851a

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...a/exterior.jpg Courtyard Marriot did a great job on this old John Deere building in Waterloo. Main clock house was on the corner of it. I used to go in ride to fifth floor walk across an overhead enclosed alley to the building upstairs up to 6th floor. These buildings were built like tanks, they had a heck of a time demolishing some of the other buildings. 2 remain.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #12
tubman

When I was in grade school, every class toured the St. Paul Assembly plant. When I first got my '51, it was the site of the first show of the year, "The All-Ford Picnic". I still have friends that worked there.

Now it's gone. The property (on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi) was just too valuable.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #13
Newc

Western Coast of US is a Big Earthquake Zone and the old buildings have to be upgraded or Demolished. They are traps-very dangerous. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #14
ford38v8

Some years ago while attending a V8 National Meet in Dearborn, I visited the Highland Park Ford Plant on Woodward Avenue. At the time, it was used for storage only, and appeared to be abandoned. The Administration building stood in defiant shambles, chunks of the concrete facade having fallen to the ground and lay half buried under debris and undergrowth. One of those bits of history now resides at my home in California.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #15
rockfla

One of the "Bigger" issues that plagued the building here in Jacksonville is that when and where it was built, hundreds of piles had to be driven into the river/shoreline as part of the foundation of the plant. Over the last 60+ years of exposure to the brackish river water, barnacles, post worms etc etc...several of the piles were not even there AND it was going to take some extensive work to replace the remaining ones with the structure AND foundation all in place. NOT an impossible task.....JUST a costly one and one that was limited to tidal changes.......and one more obviously costly than a complete tear down and rebuild.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #16
ford nut

great thread.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #17
V8ER

The five story Model T assembly plant in Pittsburgh has been purchased by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and will be renovated for medical research.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #18
mfirth

19Fordy, you nailed it .....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:35 PM   #19
mfirth

V8ER, don't you think Henry would approve. U of P should have some kind of recognition with a plack or ...... a nice big pic of a "T" or .......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #20
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
19Fordy, you nailed it .....
Actually, it sounds like there was a good reason for each to go : decayed pilings, earthquake zones, desirable premium land, etc. It sounds like the Pittsburg building will be saved, though. It just won't be a Ford plant, which was of Ford's choosing.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote