Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
Boryca

Default Columbia 2 Speed Help

Hi fellas, posed this question on the HAMB, and was referred over here too. I'm trying to find out some info on a Columbia 2 speed I just picked up. I don't know what it's out of, or what year. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Boryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Columbia 2 Speed Help

Hard to tell with the pic, appears to be a 46-8 because of the spring hangers. A closer picture of that area on both sides and a measurement of the non C housing from center section to outer end would cinch it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
blucar

The pix do not show any brackets welded to the axle shafts for the radius bars, therefore
the unit is not a '35-36, depending on the axle width it could be a '37-40 or a '42-48 depending on the width.
There is also the off hand chance that it is an Auburn unit, the Columbia's were standard equipment in the Auburn's in the mid '30's.. However, the center section appears to be Ford.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The 42 through 48 rear axles were near 1.5" wider that the 35 through 41. The 42/48 was 61" drum to drum.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

The brass tag says it is a 46 if you look close.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The brass tag says it is a 46 if you look close.
As they say in France, Viola!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Columbia Axle.jpg (17.0 KB, 152 views)
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
As they say in France, Viola!
The tag will tell you what the center housing was from. Currently it could be installed in nearly any other year. However, in this case, the center section remains installed within axle housings in the '46 ' 48 range.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Boryca

Thanks for the help fellas. Going off what you told me it's a 42-48 unit, as it's roughly 1.5" wider than my stock '35 axle housing that came out.

New question: How does one go about getting a banjo rear apart? I've got both sides off, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get this thing out of the center section. I'm assuming something is just stuck, but also don't want to bang on it...

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
32phil

Just some friendly advice......send it to one of the folks who specialize in Columbia rear ends.
Depending on condition be prepared to spend at least $2500 to $3500 for a quality, bulletproof rebuild. That does not include shipping ......OUCHIE..!!!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Ken/Alabama

Remove the bolts holding the ring gear .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryca View Post
Thanks for the help fellas. Going off what you told me it's a 42-48 unit, as it's roughly 1.5" wider than my stock '35 axle housing that came out.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Mike;

The prior advise about sending the Columbia out to be worked on is sound advise.
My main concern is your statement about using the Columbia in a '35 Ford.
There are people in the V8 Ford family that will tell you that the '42-48 Columbia have to be cut down and modified to fit a '35-36 Ford. It is true that the axle is 1.5"/2" wider than a '35-41 axle, however, the '35-36 center section and drive line assembly will bolt right up to the '42-48 Columbia. The application requires '37 radius bars which will bolt right up to the later model axle assembly and the '36 drive line/torque tube.
The added width of the later axle assembly is not a big deal. I replaced the original Columbia under my '36 with a '42-48 assembly in 1955.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Boryca

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I replaced the original Columbia under my '36 with a '42-48 assembly in 1955.
This is great info, thanks! I need to upload some pics, but I've modified my '35 radius rods by moving the forward bolt mount further forward by 1/4" to clear the larger axle housing of the later Columbia, and fabricated some new brackets in the style of the '35, where they go around the housing and are welded on. Seems like everything should work out about right.

Also realized I'll need to use the '35 center section, as the pinion splines are different.

I've got a build thread over on the HAMB about this truck, but I think I'll update over here, you guys are way more interested.

Mike
Old 12-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Boryca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Remove the bolts holding the ring gear .
Lol. Thanks

The ring gear was stuck on the Columbia unit, and I didn't want to injure anything by being forceful. A little gentle persuasion fixed that though. Funny how that'll work.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryca View Post
This is great info, thanks! I need to upload some pics, but I've modified my '35 radius rods by moving the forward bolt mount further forward by 1/4" to clear the larger axle housing of the later Columbia, and fabricated some new brackets in the style of the '35, where they go around the housing and are welded on. Seems like everything should work out about right.

Also realized I'll need to use the '35 center section, as the pinion splines are different.

Mike
I don't understand why you would want to go to all the trouble to fabricate 35 style radius bar mounts, welding same to the late model axle housings when '37-38 radius bars will bolt tight on the axle housing flange' using the bolt holes that secure the backing plates, and they will bolt right onto the front mount of the torque tube.
As I believe I stated earlier you have to use the complete '35 center section including the '35 ring pinion.
I forgot to mention in my earlier contribution that you will have to use a '42-48 rear spring due to the added width of the axle assembly.
I have attached a couple pix of the Columbia under my '36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.1.jpg (69.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.2.jpg (61.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
Boryca

Bill - thanks for the input! There's a couple reasons I'm going about it the way I am:

1 - I didn't know that tidbit about 37-38 radius rods, so there's that... (definitely keeping that in mind for next time)
2 - It's already done. It really didn't take too long, and it gave me an excuse to pick up a drill press for the garage
3 - I already had the parts on hand, so I figured I'd use what I had.

Thanks for the input! I'm new to stuff this old, so learning is part of the game.

Mike
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
blucar

I understand what your thinking was to fabricate mounts to make the Columbia work in your '35. I tend to be a little more practical and a bit on the lazy side not wanting to do more work than what is absolutely necessary.
I do have an advantage, I grew up working on "old cars" that were not really old when I was in my early teens. We could cruise through a wrecking yard where there would be row upon row of '30/40 model cars, the good ole days. Many of my neighbors had old cars, Fords.. sitting in their back yards, available for the asking or for a few bucks.
Henry Ford and Ford Motor's had been kind enough to make cars-n-parts that were interchangeable on the '32-53 Fords.
There are several of us here on the FordBarn that have forgot more about the Early Ford V8's than most people ever knew..
In my case I was a senior in high school when I bought my '36 in 1952, it was not my first car, I got my first car in the 9th grade.