Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Blew the headgasket today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There has been some experiences that I have seen over the years with Model A owners that were similar to this. Where after you pull the head and clean out all of the internal water passages you can get to that when it is put back together it then overheats. Knocking the old rust and scale loose inside of these passages will find there way to the top of the radiator where they plug up the tubes.... Try a back flush of the radiator before you go into major panic mode over timing, leaking head gaskets, cracks, etc... One guy had a new radiator and was so sure it wasn't the radiator that he ended up replacing his entire engine only to find the exact same situation occuring. A simple back flush and everything was COOL.....
One would have to think if you were mechanically inclined enough to replace a head gasket, and 'knock loose' the rust and scale from every place you could get to, only common sence would lead you to back flush the engine when back together until it ran clear and if still experiencing over heating to back flush the radiator.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
dynaflash_8

havent quite got a chance to work on it yet guys. I think before i go too crazy tearing stuff apart im going to pressure test the block. That will tell me whats what.

Ill keep you updated
dynaflash_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
30modelA

when you get it goin try using a thermostat, the water may not stay in the radiator long enough to cool down, also use very little anti-freeze. they got this stuff called water wetter makes it run alot cooler. make sure when you add water the engine is warm and throttled up a bit so you dont over fill, good luck
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Bruce,Upstate NY

Anyone ever cleaned out the block by filling it with muriatic acid? I know one guy who said it really worked.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #25
1931 flamingo

That's been discussed, also a lot of EV8 guys run vinegar. Do a search here. The acid would have to be neutralized when done.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote