Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #1541
Heard

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Mike, as usual, we had a blast. I'm already looking forward to next Saturday's play time. Too bad we didn't get a photo of the six of us in the '39 CS on the way to PIZZA!
Yeah, that would have been a great pic! I had a great time and thankfully, the traffic Gods were smiling on me both on my way to your place and on the way back to DeBary. The last couple of years, the traffic between Orlando and Tampa has become unbearable most days.

I got the rear axle unloaded and prepped for paint. We'll see if I can sneak a coat or two on while the weather holds....
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #1542
Vic Piano

Heard, I'm lookin' forward to seeing you pull into my driveway with the '36. Maybe you can drive her on the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour, whenever we have it...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #1543
Vic Piano

Fuel for Thought

Marv (here on the FordBarn) and I, have been talking about converting an OEM style manual fuel pump to a "pass through" pump, for use with an electric fuel pump. For those that would prefer to keep the "original look" under the hood, while eliminating the uncertainty of the longevity of the rubber diaphragm, in the OEM mechanical pump, once subjected to "corn gas"!

I sent Marv one of my "dead" fuel pumps and he did the conversion. Here are a few photos of the process.

First, he removed the internals.

Next he placed a metal plate and secured it with JB Wield and fiberglass resin for good measure.

Marv let the JB Wield and resin sit in some "corn gas" to see if there would be any ill effects... After an overnight bath in the "corn gas" there was no visible deterioration so, it looks like he may have a winner here. Marv reassembled the pump using a rubber gasket (that will not come in contact with fuel) but gives the impression of an original fuel pump. I'm going to install the "pass through pump" on our '39 CS with a 6 volt electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, to test it in actual use. I'll post the findings here.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #1544
Vic Piano

Ok, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what brand of electric fuel pump (6 volt) I should use in the '39 CS with the "pass through" fuel pump that was modified by Marv. I've had success with an Airtex electric fuel pump (12 volt) in the '51 F-1 however, I have very limited experience with a 6 volt unit. Can any of you suggest what you feel would be a better choice, comparably priced with the Airtex? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1545
Marv

Smile Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Ok, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what brand of electric fuel pump (6 volt) I should use in the '39 CS with the "pass through" fuel pump that was modified by Marv. I've had success with an Airtex electric fuel pump (12 volt) in the '51 F-1 however, I have very limited experience with a 6 volt unit. Can any of you suggest what you feel would be a better choice, comparably priced with the Airtex? Thanks for your input.
Vic i have been told this is the only way to go with gasahol.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1546
Marv

Smile Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Vic i have been told this is the only way to go with gasahol.
fifthaveinternetgarage.com
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #1547
Vic Piano

Thanks Marv, I just got the fuel pump you modified. I'll see if I can get everything installed in the '39 CS this weekend. For those interested, here's a photo of the pump. As you can see, there is no visible difference on the exterior however, Marv removed all the internal parts to make the conversion (see earlier post). Now, I should be able to have fuel flowing from the electric pump, through the modified OEM style pump, and into the carburetor. This set up should alleviate the intermittent fuel delivery problems, as well as hard starting and Vapor Lock, not to mention the ever present danger of fuel leaking past the rubber diaphragm into the crank case, while keeping everything looking "as Henry built it" under the hood... The best of both worlds...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #1548
Vic Piano

My plan for last Saturday was to install an electric fuel pump, etc. in the '39 CS but... Keith, Al and Cliff came over and we performed some PM on Al's new "driver", he picked up a mid '80's, very low millage, Ford Crown Victoria. After that fun Al treated us to (what else) Pizza. After the guys left, I put the '39 CS up on the lift and checked out the plumbing situation for the fuel line from the gas tank. I thought I'd change the in line fuel filter before I started messing with everything else... I fired he up and she was running much better... However, I'm still going to install the electric pump but, I'll drive the car this week and see how she does, before I make the swap.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #1549
41ford1

Quote:
I thought I'd change the in line fuel filter before I started messing with everything else... I fired he up and she was running much better... However, I'm still going to install the electric pump but, I'll drive the car this week and see how she does, before I make the swap.
You may have solved your "vapor lock" problem. A partially blocked filter and crud in the tank can contribute to or act like "vapor lock" by increasing vacuum in the fuel line.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #1550
Vic Piano

Yeah Chuck, I know but, I'm still going to install the 6 volt electric fuel pump as I've has too many manual fuel pumps go bad. I'll attribute it to "corn gas" but, I'm tired of swapping out OEM style fuel pumps. I'll keep a manual pump (that I know is good) in the trunk just incase I have a problem with the electric one down the road. Are you planning on coming down South any time soon?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #1551
41ford1

A back up system is always good. I probably should do the same with the pickup. It seems the VL symptoms vanished with the installation of a new tank.
As far as getting back to the south, not in the near future.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #1552
37 Coupe

Quote:
Yeah Chuck, I know but, I'm still going to install the 6 volt electric fuel pump as I've has too many manual fuel pumps go bad. I'll attribute it to "corn gas" but, I'm tired of swapping out OEM style fuel pumps. I'll keep a manual pump (that I know is good) in the trunk just incase I have a problem with the electric one down the road. Are you planning on coming down South any time soon?
Did you ever buy and use one of the ones NAPA sells? I am talking about the glass bowl one that is more correct for the 59AB so mayby this will not work for you. The reason I am even mentioning this is because when I finished my 37 Ford with 59AB in 2007 I had fuel pump issue after issue,all guru rebuilt ones,more than one guru and all claiming ethanol proof materials. I actually paid less for a new not rebuilt fuel pump from Napa and was surprised to see it was made in the USA,this was 5 years ago and it is still good,knock on wood. Better than the rebuilt ones that lasted only a month or so.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #1553
Vic Piano

37 Coupe, I've had OEM style fuel pumps last for years, with no problems! I've also had them go bad over various time frames, the shortest lasted about 300 yards... Yes, I said yards... after I changed the one that went bad (after a few days of driving), on the side of I75 in Tampa, not the most fun I've ever had in one of our Flatheads... Both those fuel pumps came from the same rebuilder... who I won't ever use again! I have a few OEM style manual fuel pumps on cars/trucks now, that are suppose to have the ethanol resistant diaphragms in them, and they are working, at the moment. If you plan to keep the OEM pumps, I would suggest getting at least two extras to carry in the trunk, just incase... Like everything else, when they work they are great... when they don't, well, you know...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #1554
Cecil/WV

I have over 22000 miles on a new NAPA pump but still need the electric pump on occasion.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #1555
Vic Piano

No matter how you slice it, an electric fuel pump is excellent insurance, especially if you drive your Flatheads beyond the confines of your neighborhood.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #1556
Vic Piano

Visiting Day

Cecil and his wife came over for a visit in their '50 (road warrior) Ford TuDor Sedan. We had a really nice time, drove the '50 to lunch and snapped a few photos of the "Award" (that Bill Wzorek came up with, and Shelly Van Pelt put together), congratulating Cecil for driving his '50 Ford in all 48 contiguous states, Florida being the final one. I guess Cecil wanted to save the best for last... LOL The original plan was to present the award to Cecil at the 2014 Florida "Barner's Bash" but, at the last minute he had a change of plans and couldn't make it to the Bash. Here are Cecil and his wife, along side of the '50.

And here we are with the "Award".

And a "smiling" '50.

I want to thank Cecil and his lovely wife for an enjoyable afternoon, and I would be remiss if I didn't extend thanks to Bill and Shelly for all their help. Thanks again for stopping by Cecil, have a safe trip home. Vic
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #1557
Mart

Well done Cecil, that's a great achievement.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1558
40cpe

Congratulations on completing your goal!

I put many miles on a '50 Custom 2-door back in the '60s. They hold a warm spot in my heart until today.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #1559
Cecil/WV

Thanks Vic for being such a nice host. But no thanks for hiding all them women in the garage out of sight. Oh well.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #1560
Vic Piano

Cecil, the pleasure was all mine. You know, if you had driven a '35 ForDor Sedan to my place, all those women would have appeared... Just ask JM...LOL.