Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Shadetree

Default Re: Paint experts

I painted my grandson's aluminum wheels with Rustoleum black epoxy. It goes on good and maintains a high gloss but it takes a while to dry. I want to paint the floorboards in my `51 F1 but concerned about the overspray and mist. Can you buy it in a can and brush it on?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
john worden

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm99 View Post
Ken,
You might try a "tack coat", wait 5-15 minutes and respray, wait again and respray, multiple thin coats are better than 1 heavy coat as this lets the solvents flash off some without being trap under a "skin" which can make them take many days (weeks) to completely dry. I think you will find you have a better job and adhesion with this method.
Good Luck Paul J.
Good advice. A tack coat being a less than full coat. Proceed with a full wet coat after the first becomes tacky to the touch. Practice may be neccessary to really get a feel for the application technique that yields good flow just short of sags. If flow and hiding are achieved avoid more coats. If hiding isn't achieved after 2-3 coats than a tinted sealer may be called for. Touch ups should not be needed. This type of paint will test an inexperienced painters patience. Alkyd enamel was replaced for a reason. It does work real well for small parts once you know the nature of the beast however.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Planojc

What about useing POR 15 on the bases. Any one tried this?
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
wamnram

Ken,

Paul is correct. Rustoleum takes weeks to get dry enough to re-coat without wrinkling. You can apply thin multiple coats as long as you do them within about a 15 to 30 minute window, any longer and you risk ruining it. I have also put on one coat and let it sit outside baking in the sun for several days before recoating and sometimes even then I get slight wrinkling. But one good thing is since it takes so long to dry, that if you have an imperfection in the paint after it drys for a day you can take a soft cloth and work it out by gently rubbing the semi-hard surface.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
296 V8
BANNED

Mr. Ken
Honestly is it worth waiting weeks for paint to dry when better - faster - possibly cheaper is out there?

Powder coat is dry as soon as it cools enough to touch or …. 2 part epoxy will dry in a few hours.

I realize its easy for me to say … I PC and paint my stuff at work for free but its also given me the benefit of seeing what’s out there and or what works better.

Any catalyzed paint / automotive paint can be used on motor parts that get fuel and or oil on them / you don’t even need epoxy.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Epoxy is a two part mix chemical reaction whether it is adheasive or paint. I use epoxy paints on the main rotor and tail rotor blades on the helicopters. It is difficult to get these paints due to EPA regulations but they are still available. The two parts are mixed then allowed to catalize for near an hour before they can be thinned and shot onto the surface. I think it is one of the untruths in advertizing to sell the rattle can products as true epoxy coatings. If it was a true epoxy mix it would solidify in the can. Being a chemical reaction the hardening process of epoxy needs no ambient atmosphere to harden. I don't dare leave epoxy paint mix in my paint gun any longer than necessary or I might as well throw it in the trash since the paint will harden in the gun if not cleaned out within the small window of time between mix to hardening of the material.

Even catalized materals take several days to completely solidify but they can be force dried with the correct about of heat applied for a specific period of time as recommended by the manufacturer
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Tinker

Shadetree, most hardware stores carry it in a quart size can. It's usually by the spray paint.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Clem Clement

My advice is to not use Momma's oven for the drying process. Otherwise yer next meal will be of cold shoulder and hot toungue.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
ken ct
BANNED

Maybe i'll try an engine paint. Most guys dont want to wait 2-3 weeks for there carbs. They want them like yesterday. Like todays Sun. and there going to mail it tomorrow and its 2-4 days in the mail and they need it for a sat show 2-4 days back in the mail ! where is the time frame for me to rebuild it in there.Ilaugh at them LOL,gimme a break will you,get real. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Shadetree, most hardware stores carry it in a quart size can. It's usually by the spray paint.

Tinker, thanks, I'll look for it at Lowe's as that is where I buy the spray. I have thought about using POR-15 but it already has a red primer looking paint on it and I want it black.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
Henryat1140

Ken,

I had this issue while painting the bumper stripes on my '36.

Put on the first coat and waited a day. Next day applied the paint and it bubbled and ruined both coats.

I was properly pissed because masking the stripes took a lot of time and patience. Called Rustoleum customer service in a grouchy tone. The lady asked me "did you read the directions on the can about recoat time" - which I hadn't

It does say clearly recoat within a short time - 15 mins? OR wait 48 hours. Shooting a coat on the second day is not going to work.

Lesson learned.

Henry

Merry Christmas to you and your wife.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #32
ken ct
BANNED

You paint the stripe with a paint pen. Like a magic marker but has paint. Comes in a close to ford blue and black. Only 1 coat required and it followes the bumper grooves exactly. Did mine yrs ago and still look good. No masking required if your careful and keep the pen in the groove and keep it moving. lol ken ct. Very easy and took about 5 minutes to do. Comes in other colors too.Hobby shops have them.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
Jack E/NJ

John Worden>>>PATIENCE is the key to successful results with this paint or use another type.>>>

Paul J>>>You might try a "tack coat", wait 5-15 minutes and respray, wait again and respray, multiple thin coats are better than 1 heavy coat>>>

Wamnram>>>Paul is correct.>>>

Ken ct>>>i cant wait a week or more for them to dry>>>

Can't wait, eh? Geez, Ken, that's because you gotta hurry up first. I thought everybody knew that! 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
John Worden>>>PATIENCE is the key to successful results with this paint or use another type.>>>

Paul J>>>You might try a "tack coat", wait 5-15 minutes and respray, wait again and respray, multiple thin coats are better than 1 heavy coat>>>

Wamnram>>>Paul is correct.>>>

Ken ct>>>i cant wait a week or more for them to dry>>>

Can't wait, eh? Geez, Ken, that's because you gotta hurry up first. I thought everybody knew that! 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Read my post from 11:40 time. ken ct.They havent sent it yet but they want it yesterday.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Jim

Maybe por-15, it has a good gloss and is tough. Just a thought. Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #36
Roger/Sacramento

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Mr. Ken
Honestly is it worth waiting weeks for paint to dry when better - faster - possibly cheaper is out there?

Powder coat is dry as soon as it cools enough to touch or …. 2 part epoxy will dry in a few hours.

I realize its easy for me to say … I PC and paint my stuff at work for free but its also given me the benefit of seeing what’s out there and or what works better.

Any catalyzed paint / automotive paint can be used on motor parts that get fuel and or oil on them / you don’t even need epoxy.
I painted my 97's with Omni which is the lesser grade of PPG. It is a catalysed mix. The paint is now dissolving from the corngas that we have.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #37
flatmotor40

I have the same problem with X-O enamel from hardware store it dries to touch in 1-2 hrs but you had better not mess with it for days.Painted frame and all so I will not use it on that again
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote