Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
firerod

Default Mcculloch VS-57 supercharger advice

I bought a F1 with a rebuilt '53 Merc with a Mcculloch vs-57 supercharger and dual 94's. I am looking to convert to a single carb. I was looking at a WCFB or 2gc. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this set up?
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Mcculloch VS-57 supercharger advice

As a blow through system, the entire carb is under pressure and this affects the fuel punk pressure. I've run this system on a JD 172 Ford 4 banger in a duce roadster back in the 50's and could never get it to run right in Hi Boost. I think that if you could find all the STUFF from the 57 T bird you'd have this problem licked. Several years ago I had a ride in a SBC powered rod with one and saw 12lbs at hi revs. They do work when set up right, My friend George a has an avanti with one on it, but it's not finished yet. Looking forward to seeing it run. Good luck.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
kiwi

the guy you need to contact is Craig connelly in Sandiego ,he is the paxton super charger guru. basically the same type blower as you are looking at.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Tom Walker

Ol Ron has it. I think you will be advised that some carbs are better than others for blowing thru'. One problem is that as you shut off the gas the throttle plate in the bottom of the carb shuts, but the blower is still trying to compress air above it. This positive pressure at the outlet of the main jet will blow gas back into the float chamber, causing it to flood. So one thing you have to do is connect the float chamber breather to the outlet of the blower to equalise pressure to both. Basically, you have to do the same thing to any fuel/air delivery part of the carb above the throttle plate that is connected to atmosphere.

I am in the process of blowing my OHV 4 Banger, so have been reading.....!

Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote