Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
28RPU

Default What do I need to convert early 28 to 16" wheels?

I am considering putting my 16" 1935 wheels on my 1928 early (AR) pickup. I understand the brake drums are unique to early 28. What would I have to do to bolt on the 35 wheels without changing anything that could not easily be changed back later? I would try it now but the wheels and the car are in different places so I don't want to go get them if they won't fit.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Tim

Default Re: What do I need to convert early 28 to 16" wheels?

They should go right on. Borrow one from somebody and make sure, but the mounting face should be good. You need to run a ring spacer to put 35 wires on juice drums, or a flat plate to run solids on a mechanical brake set-up as wires have a step in them that solids don't. I put Kelseys right on my early mechanical brake A.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
28RPU

Thanks Tim. I guess its worth the trip to go get them and bring them down.I saw the thread with the 16s on the other guys cars and thought they looked nice.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

When you so early, what do you mean ?

If your rear drums have emergency brake shoes then you do not have the very early brake drums; if your rear drums only have one brake lever and no lever for emergency brake then your wheels and drums are very early and the later 28-thru 35 wheels will not fit on the drums properly as the hub thickness on the wheels will not seat on the very early drums leaving a space between the lug nuts and the inside face of the drum.
There is a article in the Service Bulletins that tell to not use B wheels on AR drums or visa versa. If you don't follow these directions you will ruin the wheels.

Suggest you check to see what you actually have before proceeding to install the 35 wheels.

Ron

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 03-08-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correct wheel date
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
When you so early, what do you mean ?

If your rear drums have emergency brake shoes then you do not have the very early brake drums; if your rear drums only have one brake lever and no lever for emergency brake then your wheels and drums are very early and the later 28-thru 35 wheels will not fit on the drums properly as the hub thickness on the wheels will not seat on the very early drums leaving a space between the lug nuts and the inside face of the drum.
There is a article in the Service Bulletins that tell to not use B wheels on AR drums or visa versa. If you don't follow these directions you will ruin the wheels.

Suggest you check to see what you actually have before proceeding to install the 35 wheels.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I will double check.My car is a May 1928 so I think it is early enough to have the so called AR brakes.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Jim Parker Toronto

Ron is correct about the drums/wheels. If putting later wheels on an early car, there will not be a gap, ( but the wheels will not sit right on the drum where the stud fits and will pull the wheel in when you tighten the wheel nuts, distorting it.) but putting early wheels on a later car there will be a gap. I fixed mine by making a spacer to fill in the 3/16" gap that is left when you use newer wheels where the Early ones belong. Check your car for the all wheel parking brake. PM me if you need more information. Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote