Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2024, 03:25 PM   #1
JayJay

Default Front spring leaf dimensions?

All - I have the Marco Tahtaras chart for rear spring leaf thicknesses, but I can't seem to find anything for the front spring thicknesses. Does anyone have that info? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject - are there any good new front springs available? I see that Eaton Detroit has an 8-leaf equivalent to the standard Model A 10-leaf but I don't want to go down that road if I can avoid it.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 02-21-2024 at 03:36 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:57 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Front spring leaf dimensions?

I went through the front spring exercise a little while ago. See my thread at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=front+spring

Brent in 10-uh-C replied to a spring thread with the actual drawing of the front spring. It's a trifle indistinct - but you can blow it up and determine most any dimension on the spring (including caul radii, if you choose to do your own bending.) https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=front+spring

I was pleased generally with my Eckler's/Mac spring. (first link) They stayed pretty consistent to the drawing. Hard to know the actual metallurgy, or the source.

Original front springs were 10 leaf for automobiles, or 12 leaf for automobiles subject to hard service.

IIRC, early AA trucks used the 12 leaf until the front springs were upgraded with the Warner Gear rear end.

Joe K
Old 02-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #3
JayJay

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I searched Ecklers for the spring you showed, no joy. Reason I’m looking is that two leaves on my front spring are broken, and so far the only leaves I’ve found are badly rusted and pitted. It would be nice to put in a good new one if I can find it.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:49 PM   #4
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I searched Ecklers for the spring you showed, no joy. Reason I’m looking is that two leaves on my front spring are broken, and so far the only leaves I’ve found are badly rusted and pitted. It would be nice to put in a good new one if I can find it.

New is tough as springs are not usually sold "broken down" - except for used.

Broken leaves are not unusual, particularly it seems the two smallest leaves. I took on a front axle which had two broken leaves and searched around for anything of the top six of leaves (all similar thickness) that might be cut down to fit the location.

A couple of springs showed up from a vendor which I'll pm you separately. These two I thought quite reasonable at about $30 delivered. One will require to be cut down.

But loose leaves are hit or miss. I've seen some on Ebay and that's worth a check - but be sure they're for the front spring and not an AA front spring (which is the same width as the Model A car rear spring.) You want 1-3/4 width of course.

Now these purchased are not "arched" as is necessary to do it right. While I'm at it I should probably do the other 8 leaves of the bunch. Using the drawing one can make "cauls" in cardboard to work to.

The only issue with this methodology is "wear & tear." This is now a spring which is nearly 90 years old - and to say it has some mileage on it is probably an understatement. As you say "rusted & pitted" is not the best.

Keep looking. And someone may respond to your need on this board.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-29-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 PM   #5
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
More on the minutia of Model A springs at the link below.

https://files.secure.website/wscfus/...-a-springs.pdf

Mentioned is Travis Cook at A-Springs.com. Which is no more. Travis gave it up with the onset of Covid and while I spoke to him then (at the number) he indicated he had no more Model A springs - although he was selling out his Model T stock.

You might try giving him a call to see if he has a couple of loose leaves from the top six you could either use or cut down.

If you do this, get back to us and let us know how he's doing and give him our hopes that retirement is all that he hoped it would be.

Joe K