Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
NSDWS

Default shock angle

I this to much shock angle for them to do any good? Not sure what previous owner based this angle on. I assume the 39 came with leaver shocks stock.This 39 sedan is just not riding very good. Thanks
Doug

Last edited by NSDWS; 03-08-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add photo
NSDWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: shock angle

There are tables that allow you to determine shock value for different angles, but that is too much angle! Most likely needs a shorter shock with the top mounted nearer the inside of the frame rail. Also need to use the a shock with the proper shock rate, you can get close by looking for a shock the length you want off of a similar weight car (weight for the rear wheels).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Talkwrench

I just went downstairs and took this picture for you [Im at work] . This is my 35 pickup, the setup is a Pete & Jakes one with the weld on rear mounts . Its installed as per there instructions , so you can see the correct angle .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (46.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
NSDWS

Talkwrench thanks for the photo. I can see some difference but does not look like they are to far off. I need to get a closer look at how I can go about fixing.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might find this link interesting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...u-done.675842/
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
VeryTangled

Yes

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
Talkwrench

Looking at my photo now it might be a bit deceiving, as the pic could be a bit "fish eyed" making them look wider apart..Mmm well we did it as per instructions and I can tell you it works very well, I do have a C E anti swaybar up front and it goes round corners like its on rails.. No way I would ever worry about putting a anti sway bar on the rear.

Last edited by Talkwrench; 03-09-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Talkwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDWS View Post
I this to much shock angle for them to do any good? Not sure what previous owner based this angle on. I assume the 39 came with leaver shocks stock.This 39 sedan is just not riding very good. Thanks
Doug
Well now, this picture answers the question I asked earlier about your open drive, yet STOCK banjo rear end. The original rear has been converted to open drive via that shiney bearing retainer and seal affair. There is an upper anti-torque rod visible with a Heim end mounted just above that shiney retainer, and running forward to another attach point. Depending on what the front of that rod is attached to, it's possible that COULD be part of your ride problem. Any way you could picture the front end mounting of that black rod?

One more note about your shocks.......you cannot angle them outward MUCH more at the top because your exhaust pipes limit that direction. You could make the mounting more vertical by choosing some somewhat shorter shocks, and utilizing a weld-on mount farther inboard, similar to the ones in TALKWRENCH's picture. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
G.M.

That's to much of an angle it will move the body from side to side. The
straighter the better. I had one that put groves on the inside of the
tires. G.M.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #10
Drbrown

Considering some simple physics, once the shock's mounting exceeds a 45 degree angle from vertical, the shock becomes ineffective in controlling and cushioning the vertical movement of the car body. However, at 45 degrees or an even lower slope it MAY contribute to controlling car body "roll" but obviously only when the car is in a turn .... not really its intended function. Having transverse springs vs. longitudinal springs affects this.

Cushioning the car's vertical movement is best done between an ideal vertical position and 45 degree angle.

If traction during acceleration is important, then angling a shock forward would use the car's rearward shift in center of gravity to improve that.

Regardless, consult the manufacturer to determine a suitable shock based on the car's specific wheel load and a shock's optimum operating length.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #11
flathead 53

just went through this on my 40 coupe . there is a company pure hot rods that make a lower bracket that kicks the bottom out some off the backing plate, also the upper mounting hole could be more toward the frame, mine work great I also have the chart on proper shock angle , let me know if you want any of this info.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #12
NSDWS

V8Coopman hope this one helps best I can do right now. Your right about the exhaust being in the way to so cant go outboard towards much. I sure hate to weld bracket to that rear end but might be only option. I have to get ready for a trip to KY so it will be next week before I can get anything done on it.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Not sure why, but I always try to set them at 20 degrees or there abouts. When using coil overs, this angle is critical.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
Mart

Panhard shocks!
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Tony, NY

I would not go more than 30 degrees from vertical.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Well now, this picture answers the question I asked earlier about your open drive, yet STOCK banjo rear end. The original rear has been converted to open drive via that shiney bearing retainer and seal affair. There is an upper anti-torque rod visible with a Heim end mounted just above that shiney retainer, and running forward to another attach point. Depending on what the front of that rod is attached to, it's possible that COULD be part of your ride problem. Any way you could picture the front end mounting of that black rod?

One more note about your shocks.......you cannot angle them outward MUCH more at the top because your exhaust pipes limit that direction. You could make the mounting more vertical by choosing some somewhat shorter shocks, and utilizing a weld-on mount farther inboard, similar to the ones in TALKWRENCH's picture. DD

Check out Hot Rod Works. They make the rear end conversion and the torque arm kit (it bolts to a tab welded to the front end of the rear wishbone). I have been running a setup like this with a T5 for 12 years or so.

http://www.hotrodworks.com/product/1...orque-arm-kit/

PS: I welded lower shock mounts on to the axle tube to get the shock angle and clearance I wanted. The exhaust system makes it hard to work around.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Yes, once I saw the front radius rod mount like in the picture, I was sure it was the Hot Rod Works set-up. Good folks with quality products. With that upper link attached directly to the forward end of the radius rod, it's allowed to articulate WITH the rear end assembly as a one-piece commodity, strictly moving about that ONE mount point, like the torque tube does. I see no real reason you should have a bad ride, other than perhaps a spring that is too stiff. Having the shocks angled such won't promote a bad ride.......just won't dampen axle movement maybe as well as a more vertically-mounted shock(s). DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
34pickup

Maybe this will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shocks.jpg (26.9 KB, 51 views)
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote