Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
38 Ford Pickup

Default Re: OT - Discovery Channel show on maintaining old cars in Cuba

The show is all Pipe Dreams... You must live the real life in Cuba... I have helped my friend with car parts for over 30 years now.

We traded his pig for 4 BFG for his 61 Corvair. I will tell you they have a great shop near Santa marta Cuba that will make Stainless front and rear bumpers for any Tri-Chevy for $300 US Dollars. Most cars run on cheap Diesel and the cost is 23 cents a litre.

Lots of older cars running Lada, Muskovich and other diesel engines... They are masters of the craft.

Us citizens can go to Cuba any time, just need to go from Mexico or Canada.

If you have a chance to go........its a great time to go to the hidden car part shows..........all the parts that are removed before Castro takes the government vehicles off the road.

The 5litre Mercedes engine cost us two Pigs.......
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

The guy sends his sons to find a bearing for the steering column.....jump to scenes where they buy a u joint...back to dad shown putting the u joint on the driveshaft....jumps to dad saying he has to make a gasket for the steering column. When did he get the bearing he needed for the column??
Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #23
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I noticed right away that the sons came home with the u joint but then old dad was in fact working on the drive shaft when they got home. There must have been two issues with the Olds but somehow things got mixed up in editing. All in all it was enlightening for me; they do have some good looking cars in the club, some of the characters seem pretty cool, the peek at Cuban realities is sobering and their resourcefulness is beyond belief. Some will laugh at the show and their crude methods but I wonder how many here could deal with the cards some Cubans are dealt. I'll be tuning in again.
==================================================

I agree with Fordors, You can't blame the Cuban people, who go thru hell to get parts to keep their old vehicles on the road.
If we had to improvise the way they do, to keep 'em going, many here in the states would NOT fix up any old car.

If only the producers of the documentary shows
would just present the true facts, and NOT try to
add all the drama and bs, they would be more
interesting to watch. When the producers Screw
Up the true details of fixing the old cars, it comes
across as if the whole show is a fake, Sad.

We are SO LUCKY, to live in a free society, and have an abundance of parts manufactures, and suppliers that make it fairly easy to restore the survivors, and even tackle the old field cars.

We here, should all count our blessings......

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #24
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
The guy sends his sons to find a bearing for the steering column.....jump to scenes where they buy a u joint...back to dad shown putting the u joint on the driveshaft....jumps to dad saying he has to make a gasket for the steering column. When did he get the bearing he needed for the column??
I was left wondering the same thing.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
mhsprecher

Best not to take it too seriously. I rarely watch TV and never shows like this, but I enjoyed the first episode and all the inconsistencies. I also wonder if the guy would pay $8K for that 58 Chevy if Discovery Channel was not financing the whole effort? I bet not.

I do want to go to Cuba soon. I hope I can arrange that. FWIW, AACA has had one trip there and is organizing another for October of this year.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote