Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
Model "A" Fords

Default Original Model A keys

Some time back the Nationals were held in Canada at Niagara falls. On one evening the cars were on display there.

During that evening I met a fellow that had a few large rings of original keys that he was searching through for anyone requiring a specific one to match their model A.
Being a collector of keys of any type, I offered to buy the lot. He was content to pass them out one at a time to those in need. That seemed the best scenario for them at the time as he would make a lot of people happy and I'm not known to part with many myself.

Known to collect keys, I get asked many times for certain keys and not always able to point them in the right direction. It would be nice to point the Model A people to this fellow with those keys. If anyone is familiar with this man or his keys, could you post here with any information that helps the cause? Thanks.

For those that have any other types of keys that they want to part with, email [email protected] with photographs of what you have and be sure to include the asking price. I'm frequently asked how many keys I own but I don't know as I stopped counting fifty years ago at 5,600.

Last edited by Model "A" Fords; 08-22-2023 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Correct wording
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Original Model A keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
Some time back the Nationals were held in Canada at Niagara falls. On one evening the cars were on display there.

During that evening I met a fellow that had a few large rings of original keys that he was searching through for anyone requiring a specific one to match their model A.
Being a collector of keys of any type, I offered to buy the lot. He was content to pass them out one at a time to those in need. That seemed the best scenario for them at the time as he would make a lot of people happy and I'm not known to part with many myself.

Known to collect keys, I get asked many times for certain keys and not always able to point them in the right direction. It would be nice to point the Model A people to this fellow with those keys. If anyone is familiar with this man or his keys, could you post here with any information that helps the cause? Thanks.

For those that have any other types of keys that they want to part with, email [email protected] with photographs of what you have and be sure to include the asking price. I'm frequently asked how many keys I own but I don't know as I stopped counting fifty years ago at 5,600.
What are they worth? I have some..

Last edited by Gary WA; 12-30-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
Gene F

Gentlemn, if a person shows up with a LectroLock assembly, are you likely to help them out if they want it to actually put on their car?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
ldreeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Do you have a # A1270 B&S for a 1930 door?
ldreeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
mercman from oz

Ford Model A Keys - Gary WA
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:30 PM   #6
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldreeg View Post
Do you have a # A1270 B&S for a 1930 door?
Sorry do not have that one!
Old 08-22-2023, 10:28 PM   #7
sequim

Hi Gary, would you have A949 and A1542? In return I have B&S A1102 that I don't need.
sequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #8
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Hi Gary, this collection could help a number of Model A enthusiasts. As far as what there worth I will give you somethings to consider. I'm not the last word in keys so don't treat this as the only source avaliable.

Model A keys can vary a lot and you can look them up on the internet. On eBay and other similar sites they are asking from $4.00 to $50.00 each with no rhyme nor reason and you will see quality originals for $10.00 as some scrap ones have a price of $50.00.

Car specific like antique parts dealers, car flea markets, car magazines are usually better represented with people that have an idea of what they have to sell. Here you can buy brand new generic keys at $4.00 that will work for your car but don't look original and usually aren't advertised to look correct but operate correctly. New ones that look quite close to original start around $15.00. Some reproduction keys are really quite nice that can fool most people, will go from $16.00 to $35.00 each. The dealers usually have these.

True originals usually come used as Gary has shown. These in good working condition start at $15.00 and go up as condition increases. A working key that is quite worn will not demand as high a price but is what the less fussy buy to get their car going and be original. This would be in the $15.00 range. An original key that has nice markings and doesn't show much wear could be $20.00 and up. A crisp original with no apparent wear may be $25.00 and up.

If you are going for fine points it must be correct, meaning it looks like the day it came off the line. An original key, to get full points will show no wear, has pristine plating on a very crisp key that works properly showing the correct code and made by one of the Ford suppliers from the day. The original drawings show that only the top was to be polished but that isn't necessarily what happened and in the drawing the groves and one face are incorrect. I believe since Ford had keys made by Briggs or Yale that they used a sample key and when drawing made errors in the process. This key doesn't require restoration and will work flawless once put in the ignition. Expect to pay $30.00 to $50.00.

A key can sometimes be recut to match an existing lock. To work it needs the doner key to have an original contour that extends beyond the new contour needed. In that case it would still have the original code marked on it after being recut. It can be filed off and restamped with the new code and work properly except it will look restamped.

If you find a key that is a good candidate for fine points it may need to be replated. Original blanks were plated after they were stamped and groves machined in. A blank was placed in a key cutter to cut the edge to the specific code wanted. Replating will completely cover the entire key including the cut edge. This will get point deductions because the cut edge should show the raw brass color since it was cut after plating.

Before you offer keys for sale, check conditions to figure out a starting point. This Barn site is a very good place to sell your keys. Once you have figured a group they seem to apply to, put at least two quality photographs in that clearly shows both sides along with the key code. If the code is hard to see write it in the text and if you know the key operates properly in the appropriate lock, mention that in the ad.

Selling keys one at a time with good clear information and quality photographs will give you the best chance for success. let people know if you have matching keys. If you sell a group as Gary shows it will attract people that will resell them one at a time but expect a lower price so they have room to do the work. Selling in groups or larger numbers will get them sold with out the hassle of doing the detailed ads but won't bring the results that individual sales bring.

This information is to help Model A people deal with keys.

If you just have odd keys not related to the Model A top topic to sell, I may be interested if you want to send a privet message.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequim View Post
Hi Gary, would you have A949 and A1542? In return I have B&S A1102 that I don't need.
no sorry do not have
Old 08-23-2023, 05:58 PM   #10
Modelacoupe3

Hello ,
By chance would you have original keys for my 30 Coupe ?
Door key A1142 and. Ignition key A872.

Thank you
Modelacoupe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #11
sequim

I'm not aware of any person in my area that cuts keys without a matching key. Is there someone that can cut 2 keys each A949 and A1542? I have both spare switches - boat anchors without a key.
Thanks,
sequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:05 AM   #12
ironmountain

Hi Gary, I'm looking for door key A1498 if you have it or a pair. Regards Richard
ironmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:33 PM   #13
e70

This is how I display my Model A Ford keys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg door.jpeg (40.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpeg 28.29..jpeg (61.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg n.31.jpg (70.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg script.n.jpg (46.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by e70; 08-24-2023 at 06:59 PM.
e70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:47 AM   #14
Model "A" Fords

It is good to see Model A key requests put out here, as the numbers are bound to connect as this has better odds that a lottery. The amount of Model A numbers is relatively low. If you have keys to offer, consider putting the numbers out here along with the wants to up the chances.

Gary, If yours are up for grabs, you could list the numbers here and save a lot of your time and effort checking and replying every time someone throws out a number.

E70, You have a superb collection of Model A keys! Great work on the display cases. Would you consider to make available any of your multiples? If so, his would be a good time to add to the interest.

I won't be scooping up your Model A keys for my collection, so feel free to list them and make some ones Model A dream come true. I have very limited Model A keys but will list what I have here. Be patient as my keys are not as well organized as E70 has done with his. If E70 wants to share his talents I could keep you busy for some time sorting keys for cars, rail roads, clocks, roller skates, watches, oil companies, houses, tractors, hotels, ships, lockers, cabinets, etc. etc.

For interest, do you remember when the fire brigade was from your personal insurance company and most houses were made all of wood. When the fire brigade arrived, you and them would use special sacks to save as many valuables as possible. The Brigades first job was to save the bed as it was the most valuable thing in the home. They would use a bed key to disassemble it. Early keys were cast or forged with various configurations that accommodated most beds of the time. If you remember this than you have a great memory for being over two hundred years old.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
Gary WA

Quote:
It is good to see Model A key requests put out here, as the numbers are bound to connect as this has better odds that a lottery. The amount of Model A numbers is relatively low. If you have keys to offer, consider putting the numbers out here along with the wants to up the chances.

Gary, If yours are up for grabs, you could list the numbers here and save a lot of your time and effort checking and replying every time someone throws out a number.

E70, You have a superb collection of Model A keys! Great work on the display cases. Would you consider to make available any of your multiples? If so, his would be a good time to add to the interest.

I won't be scooping up your Model A keys for my collection, so feel free to list them and make some ones Model A dream come true. I have very limited Model A keys but will list what I have here. Be patient as my keys are not as well organized as E70 has done with his. If E70 wants to share his talents I could keep you busy for some time sorting keys for cars, rail roads, clocks, roller skates, watches, oil companies, houses, tractors, hotels, ships, lockers, cabinets, etc. etc.

For interest, do you remember when the fire brigade was from your personal insurance company and most houses were made all of wood. When the fire brigade arrived, you and them would use special sacks to save as many valuables as possible. The Brigades first job was to save the bed as it was the most valuable thing in the home. They would use a bed key to disassemble it. Early keys were cast or forged with various configurations that accommodated most beds of the time. If you remember this than you have a great memory for being over two hundred years old.
Ill get a list of them good idea
Old 08-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #16
Gary WA

Here is some keys I went thru might help someone out?!Had them for years!

Last edited by Gary WA; 12-30-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:23 PM   #17
Gary WA

Quote:

Thanks for info. I'm going to send them off to Dick Crabtree e70.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #18
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Thanks for info. I'm going to send them off to Dick Crabtree e70.
Dick Crabtree rebuilds ignition switches and can supply an original key with the job. Hopefully e70 will add the contact information here. Thanks!