Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2023, 07:37 AM   #1
32Bee

Default Electric Fuel Pump Installation

Can someone please provide A-Z installation directions for installing an electric
fuel pump on my 36 Ford sedan? I bought an Airtex pump for it a while back and
want to get it installed as I don't drive the car often enough and it is always hard
to start for that reason. Although I bought a new Optima Red Top for the old girl
it seems to take forever to bring sufficient fuel from the tank to the engine and
consequently wears the battery down quickly. Any help with this will be greatly
appreciated.
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump Installation

My pump was installed by the previous owner, it’s mounted in the frame rail under the drivers door. It’s wired to a spring loaded toggle switch under the dash, I just hold the switch on for a minute or so until I hear the pump noise change, then I know the float bowl is full.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
19Fordy

32Bee: Please let us know the model of the Airtex fuel pump you are installing.
Also, peruse this SEARCH info.:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=31964149

Check out these videos out:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...pump&FORM=VDRE

Also, don't forget to install an oil pressure safety switch or collision switch.
Lots of info. here.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=31964332

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-27-2023 at 09:25 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
baceves

I had a similar problem. Even with an electric fuel pump you can drain your battery by starting your car. Make sure that your choke is closed when starting and slowly open up it as it starts to idle. Even with an electric fuel pump you still need to find the correct combination of fuel throttle and choke. For me, I pump the gas pedal 2 times and close the choke; next turn on the electric fuel pump and keep your foot feathered on the gas pedal half way and crank over (I only do this for cold starts or if the car has been sitting).
baceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
Flathead Fever

Mount it close to the tank with a filter before it. If you use rubber fuel line, use the fuel injection rated hose, it a better quality and will practically last forever. You need to know the pressure rating of the pump. Most of them are too high for the Early Ford carburetors. They will force the needle and seat open and flood the engine. You need the correct pressure pump or a pressure regulator in the line. I have had nothing but problems with the regulators at that low pressure. I bought the cheap ones and the expensive ones. They constantly shut off the fuel. I'ts a lot better to just get the correct pressure pump. There are two styles of pumps. Most of them when they are in the off position are closed which prevents the fuel from gravity flowing back to the tank. This is what you want if it's going to be your only fuel pump. It keeps your fuel line primed. The other version is in the open position when its off. This is the one you want if you are just using the electric pump to prime the system but then you will be running off of the stock fuel pump. The electric pump must be open when there is no power to it so the stock pump can pull fuel through it. Blow into your pump and see which one you have.

Airtex used to publish an illustrated catalog with pictures of each pump and a list of pumps by number that show the pressure rating, volume and if they are an open or closed pump. That is what I used to choose my pumps. You might be able to still find the catalog online. Where I worked, I changed out the automotive parts catalogs yearly and brought the old one's home. A lot of that info in the catalogs is not available anymore. The parts are still available but the guy at the parts store has no way to look them up on his computer without a model and year of a vehicle. When your modifying stuff they can't look it up.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 05-27-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:22 AM   #6
32Bee

I'm checking the pump model on line this morn to see if I can determine if it's correct for
my 36. There's a label on the unit that lists it as an E8902. Thanks for all of your responses.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:39 AM   #7
32Bee

After reading the Airtex chart on line I definitely have the best one for my application as it's
listed as a 6 volt unit and it's the lowest pressured unit at 2.5-4.5 PSI. However, I don't
see any info as to whether it's an open or closed pump when not in operation. After Memorial
day I'll call their listed 800 number to seek this info.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #8
Pat/Ohio

If you are still 6V positive ground, be sure to connect the positive wire (tan I believe) from the pump to the chassis and the black wire to your power source (usually back to a toggle switch). The E8902 should have a filter already installed on the rear of the pump. If not, be certain to include one before the pump. I have installed several of the E8902 Airtex pumps on my flatheads. Only used to prime or to stay away from the dreaded "vapor lock"!

Good luck!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #9
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Bee View Post
After reading the Airtex chart on line I definitely have the best one for my application as it's
listed as a 6 volt unit and it's the lowest pressured unit at 2.5-4.5 PSI. However, I don't
see any info as to whether it's an open or closed pump when not in operation. After Memorial
day I'll call their listed 800 number to seek this info.
Post #5 kinda covered that, when they said "Blow into your pump and see which one you have" in the middle of their post.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
32Bee

Thanks to everyone for your knowledge and concern.

Peter