Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
hangarb7

Default zenith-1 carb...missing part?

holy cow, now I've seen everything.

I bought my '30 Tudor which was restored by two older gents many years ago, and it has been a decent tourer although I have struggled to keep it running well as I learn over the last 7 years. Part of that has been in no small part to the fact that the old gents left a lot of parts off the car. Too many to list.

On a tour last week (I posted this part on another thread) my car would suddenly not idle and needed a lot of throttle to start, which is extremely unusual, as this car starts very quickly and easily, and runs pretty well. Diagnosed as dirt in the carb.

I take the carb apart and it was clearly rebuilt at some point but dirt inside so I clean all the parts, blow it out and ready to reassemble. Get out the Les Andrews book and also my Rex Rehaus book on carb rebuilding and both of them mention a Secondary Well.

What? Not only does my carb not have one, but the spare carb I bought separately at a swap meet ALSO doesn't have one. What's up with that? Did old timers just leave them out? I can see the threads in the hole, and I can see the end of the cap jet at the bottom. Ordering two from Snyders tomorrow.

Why did they just leave them out?

Thanks,

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: zenith-1 carb...missing part?

If you have the threads in the well and it is indeed a Zenith-1, it should have the brass secondary well. The double venture carbs did not use the brass screw-in secondary wells.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
hangarb7

Thanks Gary. Yep, they are both Zenith-1 stamped on the side and have threads.

Is the secondary well difficult to get out? Is it possible they damaged the brass part trying to remove it?

Anyone know the function of the Secondary Well? I can't find anything written about it to explain exactly what it does.

Interesting that this thread got 147 views but only one comment. Again, thanks, Gary.

JackD
Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Rex_A_Lott

If the car was a "decent tourer" as you say it did not suddenly start not idling well because some old gents left out parts 7 years ago.
Clean it, blow it out good and chances are it will again be a decent tourer.
Be sure to check the float, but dont screw with the level setting if it was OK before.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
mrtexas

https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexa...ome/modelacarb

The unique feature of the Zenith carburetor is the addition of a secondary well open to the atmosphere to the simple carburetor. This was the basis for the 1905 US patent by Francois Baverey of the French Carburateurs Zenith Co.

The secondary well is open to the atmosphere allowing air as well as fuel to be sucked into the intake thru the cap jet. As the rpm increases the air/fuel ratio increases providing a leaner mixture.

The secondary well increases air/fuel ratio(leaner) as rpm increases counteracting the simple carburetor decrease in air/fuel ratio(richer). The combined result is a more constant air/fuel ratio over all rpms.

Another feature of the secondary well is that it fills at idle and when the throttle is opened, it empties and acts like an accelerator pump.

Bottom one has secondary well. Notice the spacing of the two jets. The spacing is different depending on whether there is a secondary well or not. Note also nib for dual venturi.

Last edited by mrtexas; 06-17-2015 at 10:12 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

http://www.modela.org/secondary_well.html
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
hangarb7

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THIS NOT only explains what it is for, but this also explains why my car acts as it does! I never had any rapid acceleration of the engine speed and I just explained it away to myself that it was because there was no accelerator pump. But apparently the secondary well acts as that... and the article also speaks of the different types and being careful about the comp jet running into it at the bottom. GREAT advice from all.

Thanks,

JackD
Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
TinCup

Some great info here as well. These animations give the novice a better idea of how the carb works.
Model A Basics
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
Some great info here as well. These animations give the novice a better idea of how the carb works.
Model A Basics
Thanks for posting this link, now I have a new website to look over, and it appears to be a good one!
There is also a link to a carb rebuild by Mr Tom Endy that I enjoyed and was very thorough.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote