Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
mrtexas

Default jack

Can someone remind me how this jack goes together?

mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Tudortomnz

Default Re: jack

Is this what you have to do to become a Model A judge or become a Senior Member??
Not as bad as it looks.
From the top, take in the arm [ the 2 rivets to the top] with pinned claw. Slide in the large claw [ bottom of pic.] into the arm; it goes in as the pic shows, the arched edge go against the teeth of the jack lifter.
Next slot in the up/down lever which has a spring you do not show! See the small hole on this lever? The curved lever sticks out; only one way to fit. The spring then also attaches to the metal shelf just below where the arm assembly will be in the jack body. You may have to attach the spring to this shelf before lining up the holes & putting in the final pin. There may also be a washer that fits into the hole on this lever, which is not shown.This lever goes left side [ jack facing you] hard against the jack body but outside the jack arm assembly. Carefully slot in all this assembly, lining all the holes up & push in the pin, with the head to your left then put in the split pin [ cotter] ; this operation is tricky & may require a few attempts/ curses.

I hope this helps & good luck. I have pulled a few of these to bits & always managed to get them back together with much swearing.
Have you put this up before; I recall trying to explain it once, a year or two ago?
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Is this what you have to do to become a Model A judge or become a Senior Member??
Not as bad as it looks.
From the top, take in the arm [ the 2 rivets to the top] with pinned claw. Slide in the large claw [ bottom of pic.] into the arm; it goes in as the pic shows, the arched edge go against the teeth of the jack lifter.
Next slot in the up/down lever which has a spring you do not show! See the small hole on this lever? The curved lever sticks out; only one way to fit. The spring then also attaches to the metal shelf just below where the arm assembly will be in the jack body. You may have to attach the spring to this shelf before lining up the holes & putting in the final pin. There may also be a washer that fits into the hole on this lever, which is not shown.This lever goes left side [ jack facing you] hard against the jack body but outside the jack arm assembly. Carefully slot in all this assembly, lining all the holes up & push in the pin, with the head to your left then put in the split pin [ cotter] ; this operation is tricky & may require a few attempts/ curses.

I hope this helps & good luck. I have pulled a few of these to bits & always managed to get them back together with much swearing.
Have you put this up before; I recall trying to explain it once, a year or two ago?
yes, no one answered then. I'll try what you say!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
mrtexas

got it together, thanks