Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
mgambuzza

Default Carb backfire when release accelerator - Part 2

Now that almost all the ignition pieces were replaced, and still intermittently having acceleration issues, I wanted to look at a potential fuel issue. Ordered the Zenith strainer, bulb filter, gaskets, gas valve, and valve filter. The first good news was while the valve was off, and I removed the strainer, fuel didn't pour out giving me the first indication that it was functioning - but it was filthy. Placing it up to a light and I couldn't see through it, so it was a worthwhile replacement. Then the golden (glass) bulb that seemed murky. Came off with little effort, the screen looked different from the one I received from the vendor (picture included) and there was a solid 1/4 - 1/3" sediment on the bottom. Cleaned out the bowl with sediment, removed the old gasket, placed new gasket, along with screen, and turned on the fuel. Bowl filled immediately crystal clear with no particles, and no leaks at the bowl or strainer - hopefully a partial indication that there isn't an issue in the tank. Fired up and ran for 5 minutes and no leaks - success for tonight and can't wait to try tomorrow (it was raining tonight).

I wasn't sure whether the full round screen on the bowl did more damage than good as I can see where if there was sediment it would hit the full screen and divert it up to the feed to the carburetor, leaving the strainer to do all the filtering(even though there was a lot of sediment on the bottom). With the hole in the screen I can see where the sediment will go into the bowl first, and the more "filtered" gas will go to the carb. Will let you all know how this improvement affects the operation. With Memorial Day coming, and I have an invite to drive some vets in the parade, I hope these couple fixes make me good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4016.jpg (33.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4017.jpg (21.4 KB, 53 views)
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote