Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Joe Immler

Default Mac's Auto Parts

Here is a good story about Mac's. A shop recently installed a rebuilt engine in my '41 Ford. The flywheel on the rebuilt engine is 10" vs: 9" on the other engine. I purchased a new 10" pressure plate and clutch from Mac's.
The shop was unable to get a clutch adjustment after installation. They pulled the engine again and suspected there might be a problem with the pressure plate. They spoke to the Tech Rep, Ken and he had another pressure plate sent to them. They were the same in all measurement. The problem was the equalizer shaft. See "Clutch Adjustment" thread for the rest of that story.
Since the problem was not the parts,I sent the pressure plate back to Mac's along with a check for $33.04 to cover the cost of their shipping to me as well as covering the UPS label they sent to cover my shipping. I felt this was fair.
Today they sent my check back with a note stating since I sent the part back they would not cash my check.
Everyone always tells you when they do wrong but seldom when they do right.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: Mac's Auto Parts

Always good to hear a "good" story about a vendor!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
rheltzel

We're pretty fortunate to have good vendors like Mac's. Our hobby would be a lot less enjoyable without them
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
WestCoast

mac's is a good company, they only need to fix two problems, high shipping rates and rude counter employees, not all of them, only two that I have encountered, fix those two things and they would be an aa+ supplier

Last edited by WestCoast; 03-31-2015 at 06:49 PM.
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Ford Freak

They've always treated me good & fair .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
carguybill

As someone who is in the antique auto parts business (not early Ford V-8's) I can assure you that we are NOT in the business of pissing our customers off. When a customer has a legitimate complaint then a non-angry non-aggressive letter or e-mail is appreciated and will almost always be returned with a letter of thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
BlueSunoco

Is kinda nice to hear a good story now and then! Rather than all the complaining we usually see.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
rowens55

Started reading this thread and thought I'd tell a lil story as well. I belong to the Crown Victoria Association and a few days ago (Saturday morning I think) I put in an order for some merchandise from there on line store. I used my credit card to make payment. Sat evening I got a call from my banks fraud detection unit and told me someone had stolen my card # and made a couple LARGE purchases in a town no where near me. At that time they canceled my card. So in a minor panic I called the association Monday morning and told them that my card # was no longer good and that the order would have to wait till I got a new one issued. They in turn told me they had already made up the order and were getting ready to ship it out. They told me not to worry, when I received the order just to make out a check for the invoice and send it in. Now that's what I call trust!! I am not used to that these days! I am glad I joined the crown victoria association and will be a life member. I know it's not quite the same as a vender but still, it's the trust I appreciate. Just thought I'd share that with you good folks.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
1938 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Immler View Post
Here is a good story about Mac's. A shop recently installed a rebuilt engine in my '41 Ford. The flywheel on the rebuilt engine is 10" vs: 9" on the other engine. I purchased a new 10" pressure plate and clutch from Mac's.
The shop was unable to get a clutch adjustment after installation. They pulled the engine again and suspected there might be a problem with the pressure plate. They spoke to the Tech Rep, Ken and he had another pressure plate sent to them. They were the same in all measurement. The problem was the equalizer shaft. See "Clutch Adjustment" thread for the rest of that story.
Since the problem was not the parts,I sent the pressure plate back to Mac's along with a check for $33.04 to cover the cost of their shipping to me as well as covering the UPS label they sent to cover my shipping. I felt this was fair.
Today they sent my check back with a note stating since I sent the part back they would not cash my check.
Everyone always tells you when they do wrong but seldom when they do right.
Mac's has always been fair to me on returns. Once they doubled my order on a set of seat belts and when I called to explain the problem they credited me and told me to keep the extra set without returning them. I also had a damaged quarter molding that they wanted back so they sent me a prepaid shipping label without any hassle....more than fair! On the other hand Bob Drake has been the worst for me on returns. I stopped buying from them because of their return policy and the way they treat their customers! They just don't care
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Royal Ryser

I have had good luck with Macs and Bob Drake. I guess a gremlin slips into every business sometimes.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
hoss73ford

Macs only problem is sometimes not having the parts and having to backorder. This can often take several weeks.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
CTH automotive

I have bought A LOT of parts from Mac's for the last few cars I've done for customers. Over all they are quite good and have a good choice of necessary parts. You really have to know what you need as the operators are just that. My experience with their techs is not that great and it's better to come here for answers. You also have to be very careful on the quality sometimes. I've had to send back some parts that just would have been worse than the worn pieces I was replacing.
Still glad they are here, and over all I think they are a good company.
CTH automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Eckler's

Glad we could be there to help you out.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote