Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #1
cederholm

Default Starts, runs, dies

Hi guys,

Stock 1930 model A that I just preformed a minor carb rebuilt to stop a fuel leak. Now she starts and run for a few then dies from what seems like fuel starvation. Before I dig into it I thought I ask.

Some notes
- it’s 30 degrees in the garage
- there is only 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank
- once warm she see to run okay

Parts changed
- inlet float valve
- all gaskets and seals including GAV
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:07 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Starts, runs, dies

When my engine is cold and "starts, runs, dies like it is running out of fuel", I open the GAV another 1/4 turn and restart. It will usually keep running then.

Also, you need to use the hand throttle to put it on a fast idle when cold, and advance the spark lever part way down as soon as it starts.

Make sure the gas valve is turned on. (Don't laugh, I've seen it so many times!)

Because you just messed with the carburetor, you may have to experiment with the GAV a bit to see where the cold engine likes to run at.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:08 AM   #3
1crosscut

Put a couple more gallons of gas in the tank. Eliminates the question of is 1/2 gallon enough.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #4
bruceincam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Put a couple more gallons of gas in the tank. Eliminates the question of is 1/2 gallon enough.
1/2 gallon isn't enough
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

In addition to the suggestions already made to add more gas, consider what some "restorers" have resorted in an attempt to by-pass crud lying on the bottom of the gas tank instead of properly cleaning it. I have removed on-off valves that had a 1/2" length of copper tubing shoved in the inlet. Although this puts the intake path for fuel above crud gathered on the bottom of the gas tank, it also effectively renders the 1/2 gallon or so of the remaining fuel useless. You can have gas in the tank and yet still be out of gas.
Since you now only have 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank, it would be a simple matter to remove the on/off valve and allow the tank to drain into a bucket. Check the on/off valve for any kind of tube shoved into the inlet hole. If there is one, remove it and replace it with the special "pencil" filter available from all the vendors. That way, you can get the full benefit of every last drop of gas in the tank AND filter any crud before it reaches the on/off valve and clogs it. While that valve is out, be sure to use a pick and clean out any congealed crud inside. Use compressed air to finish the job. Most valves without that filter will have at least a little crud left over from broken bits of gas gauge cork floats, impurities in the fuel, condensation, rust particles and anything that was accidently dropped into the tank over the years.
Also, use a small hammer and tap the carb over where the needle and seat are located. This will dislodge a stuck needle and allow fuel to enter the chamber. If you have a new needle and seat, use compressed air to clean away any metal flakes left inside that were created during the machining process. I am amazed at what is left inside brand-new needle and seats! Even a small metal flake will keep the needle from going up and down = fuel flooding and/or starvation.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 01-16-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:38 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Thumbs up Re: Starts, runs, dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
You are CORRECT!!!

I misread that to say 1/2 tank of gas.

I would say add at least 2 gallons and try again.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:48 PM   #7
cederholm

Thanks for the advice all! I’ll look in to all of it.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #8
mcgarrett

Add more gas to the tank. In a gravity feed system like the Model A, fuel volume = fuel pressure and it needs that pressure to keep the float bowl full and run right.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #9
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
In addition to the suggestions already made to add more gas, consider what some "restorers" have resorted in an attempt to by-pass crud lying on the bottom of the gas tank instead of properly cleaning it. I have removed on-off valves that had a 1/2" length of copper tubing shoved in the inlet. Although this puts the intake path for fuel above crud gathered on the bottom of the gas tank, it also effectively renders the 1/2 gallon or so of the remaining fuel useless. You can have gas in the tank and yet still be out of gas.
Since you now only have 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank, it would be a simple matter to remove the on/off valve and allow the tank to drain into a bucket. Check the on/off valve for any kind of tube shoved into the inlet hole. If there is one, remove it and replace it with the special "pencil" filter available from all the vendors. That way, you can get the full benefit of every last drop of gas in the tank AND filter any crud before it reaches the on/off valve and clogs it. While that valve is out, be sure to use a pick and clean out any congealed crud inside. Use compressed air to finish the job. Most valves without that filter will have at least a little crud left over from broken bits of gas gauge cork floats, impurities in the fuel, condensation, rust particles and anything that was accidently dropped into the tank over the years.
Also, use a small hammer and tap the carb over where the needle and seat are located. This will dislodge a stuck needle and allow fuel to enter the chamber. If you have a new needle and seat, use compressed air to clean away any metal flakes left inside that were created during the machining process. I am amazed at what is left inside brand-new needle and seats! Even a small metal flake will keep the needle from going up and down = fuel flooding and/or starvation.
Marshall
I really got a kick out of Marshall's solution! Brought back memories!I really enjoyed your reply for the starts and dies!

My dads 1929 model A, was a daily driver up into the 50's! I was of age to drive and I started learning to drive in that car. He told me to never let it get below a quarter tank but never told me why! I was out driving and sure enough not having much money, let it get below a quarter. Start and died! Once I got some fuel in it and got it home, then I had a conversation with dad about the quarter tank thing and explained the gas tank was getting rusty and so he put in a standpipe in the gas valve in the tank so gas would not be pulled from the tank bottom.
Knowing my dad, he purposely did not clue me in but only told me not to go below a quarter! Part of a teens learning curve I guess! Gotta feeling your response is the solution.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote