Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
ctfortner

Default Vintage Air

Thinking about vintage air for the 56 mainline. I have the inside gutted and dash out so figured there wouldnt be an easier time to work on the evaporator mounting. I was wondering for anyone who has done it, or just has an opinion, what would be the best thing to do with the heater core hole in the firewall?

Make a heater delete plate out of sheet metal or stainless, or go through the extra work of making a template and welding it up smoothing off. My engine is in already and car is painted, so the thought of all the welding, grinding, smoothing and firewall paint touchup doesnt sound so appealing. I have seen many of the tri five group use a stainless delete plate the comanies make aftermarket and they seem real pleased with it, so I am thinking of something similar. I would probably use this area for the hose connectors also.

Do please excuse me for posting chebby pics, but wanted to show what I am thinking about

Something similar to this

ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Vintage Air

If the car and 'bird heater boxes are the same, and I don't know, casco sells the Tbird delete plates, and heater intake block off cap. I used them on a classic auto air unit on my bird. If you think it will help, send me a pm, and I'll try to attach a picture. I don't know how to do that here. I ran both sets of hoses thru it.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Many SoCal Fords back then did not have the heater and have a factory blank panel painted black where the heater plenum hole is at the firewall. They also had a round blank plate to block off the air intake duct for the heater blower motor. Both those plates were also used on cars that had the re-circulating air heater instead of the Ford Magic-Aire system. I have a set of those plates in mint condition in a box around here somewhere.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
rick55

Classic auto air provide a blanking plate for the heater and run the a/c and heater pipes through it.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Ole Don

I made a plate from aluminum and polished it.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
ctfortner

I am not sure either if the tbird is the same, I see the delete plate listed on casco though, I may call and ask. I have pretty well settled in on a vintage air unit but I may check with Classic Auto about selling just the bulkhead plate, it would be easier than making one if its not to costly.
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
frank long island

just make a plate paint it the color of your engine compartment apply strip caulk to the back screw it in and mount your hoses as far as blocking off the heater tube go to home depot and get a rubber i belive 4 inch plumbing cap with the hose clamp and your done your fresh air will still function and no oil smells in cari had vintage air in my wagon install was easy you will have to modify your glovebox interior get the biggest unit you can if you don't have tinted glass
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote