Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Art Bjornestad

Default Brattons

Just read a thread about rich mixtures and the guy related that Walt Bratton had helped him over the years.

I want to let my fellow barners and Walt know just how much it means to some of us to have a guy stand behind his wares and being not to busy to talk on the phone.

Thanks, Art
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Dave in Boise

Default Re: Brattons

Amen.. Walt and crew are a great bunch of folks!
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
RockHillWill

My favorite vendor - has treated me exceptionally well over the years.

A number of years ago I was finishing a restoration on a wide bed pickup for fine point judging and was under a deadline when I discovered that I had inadvertantly had the incorrect date attached to the logos on the glass which I had gotten from Brattons.

I called up there to see if they might be able to help me. The call was answered by one of their younger employees (Jeff, I believe). He not only listened until I was done describing my problem, but as soon as we were finished, he stayed late into the night on his own time, reapplied the correct date to all new glass and personally drove it to the shippers and I had it 2-days later.

They have continued to earn my respect and my business!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Clem Clement

Walt is in our local club, GWC. He is a great asset to us. For years, he held smal lparts repair days at his home. He and Jeff continue to strive to provide the best parts and the best catalogue and info for all Model Aers.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Bill in NJ

As far as I am concerned they are the best and I try to get my friends to go there. Excellent service. They are number 1 in my opion!!
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Bob NH

Anyone around here had any experience with PV Antique Ford Parts in Tewksbury, Mass ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
John Butts in CT

As I may have mentioned before, on this FB and the old FB, we're fortunate to have parts houses staffed with knowledgeable, sympathetic and friendly staff who are eager to help us along. I first shared my E-10/Neoprene gasket problem with the staff at Bratton's.

Oh, of course, our "A's" were built of "good stuff" to begin with. I see several "A's" on the road every weekend. When's the last time you ran across a '31 Chevy (or "insert ANY make") at your local pancake house on a Sunday morning?

Happy Spring, everyone.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

These suppliers have done a lot.

Bratton's, Synder's and some others have spent a considerable amount of money into getting critical wear parts reproduced with enough accuracy and quality that they are very good replacements.

I have talked with some of their guys about their processes. They have troubles finding shops that will do the work properly and actually produce quality usable parts.

As much as we sometime curse some of the repro parts, the companies are doing their best to give us parts that can keep the cars running on the road safely.

Without their efforts we would not be able to keep our cars on the roads.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Tom Endy

I have been doing business with Bratton's for over 20 years and have met walt several times and I have talked to him numerous times on the phone. He is the type of person I like to do business with. If there is a problem with anything you buy from him he will fix it. He does carry some poor quality parts, but he will tell you right up front in his catalog that it is not very good, but is the only one available.

Many of the better parts he carries he has made from Ford drawings by local shops that he has cultivated. He also listens to his customers. I convinced him a couple years ago that he should have some .005 rear end carrier bearing shims made. He is the only supplier I know that now markets them, and I was his first customer. If you are going to rebuild Model A rear ends, you will need a supply of them.

Bratton's also issues a free catalog each year in April with a price listed for each part. One shows up at my house in the mail every year. Several suppliers I know of have issued a catalog with no prices listed. This way they don't have to issue a new catalog each year. The ever increasing price is in their computer and they will spring it on you when you order the part.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Anyone around here had any experience with PV Antique Ford Parts in Tewksbury, Mass ?
PV is good too. They carry quality parts
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
5window

Yep, I like Bratton's-they once sent me door screws in an envelope, not a big box,which showed someone was thinking-that reduced my credit card bill to below their limit-but they okay'd it anyway. You have to like a company that isn't robotic-and I have learned so much from their catalog-it's one that doesn't get filed, but stays in the bathroom.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Butts in CT View Post
As I may have mentioned before, on this FB and the old FB, we're fortunate to have parts houses staffed with knowledgeable, sympathetic and friendly staff who are eager to help us along. I first shared my E-10/Neoprene gasket problem with the staff at Bratton's.

Oh, of course, our "A's" were built of "good stuff" to begin with. I see several "A's" on the road every weekend. When's the last time you ran across a '31 Chevy (or "insert ANY make") at your local pancake house on a Sunday morning?

Happy Spring, everyone.
Actually, in '31 Chevy slightly outsold Ford-623K-615K, but that all wood frame didn't survive well in the wild. By the time WWII came around, lot's of Chevy's were falling apart or a pile of sheet metal out in the field and scrapped.

I'm a Model A man, but the 31-32 Chevy's are nice looking cars.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote