Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
fluffy

Default New to forum 49 ford f1

Hello everyone I'm to ford barn. I'm restoring a 49 ford f1 with a flathead 6 and 4 speed on the floor in my drive way. I'm 16 years old. Any help i can get with my restoration will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for running boards, fenders, and bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154547_3629324453624_1895110478_n.jpg (44.1 KB, 46 views)
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
41ford1

Default Re: New to forum 49 ford f1

Comb the H.A.M.B, the for sale section here, Hemmings Motor News and craigslist. Reproduction parts are available for them. LMC and Northern Classic Truck may be of help. Fenders and boards are available in fiberglass from various sources.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
~~Walts37~~

Your in for a lot of fun & frustration Just try to make it FUN. & ask a lot of questions.

~~Walts37~~
~~Walts37~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
fluffy

41ford f1 I'm already on H.A.M.B. no luck so far same with craigslist. Id rather not go with any fiberglass parts because I'm going to drive it back and forth to school and work.

Walts37 I'm already having lots of fun with my build but when most of the body is rust holes, body filler, and riveted on sheet metal it gets frustrating.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
jim1932

Welcome. I know it is a ways away from you but there is an Early Ford V8 club that meets in Fairfax, VA. Even if you can't make the meetings, there are a lot of experienced people more that willing to help out someone starting out.

Tell us how you came to own the truck and what all you need. Is it running?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
fluffy

My moms old boss was moving and she had to get rid of all the vehicles in the yard and woods. My step dad knew i wanted and old ford truck. So he drug it out and gave it to me for my 10th birthday. I need just about everything for it except chassis. I'm hoping to have it running in about a month. I already know the motor runs but i want to convert it to 12 volt system since it will be a daily driver.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
gearhead1952

Welcome to the barn. The parts you are looking for are going to be tough to find. Fenders show up once in a while on ebay but good runningboards are going to be hard to come by. Might be better off getting the repro metal boards and bed.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Mike in AZ

are the fenders, bed, etc. only used in that one year...or do other years fit also??...welcome to the 'Barn....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
fluffy

I'm not positive but i think the 48-50 f1 beds and fenders all fit on the 49 f1. I'm not so sure about the running boards.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
cmbrucew

Hi Fluffy
Welcome to the barn.
Every time you see an F1, or any early pickup talk to the driver.
He or she may know someone local who has a truck or parts. Once you are driving it, people will come to you and say they remember riding in one, and grandpa or someone else still has one out back. Be selective, and buy local, so you can see what you are buying. Buying with only a dim picture and owner's discription, is not the same as seeing it in person.
Good luck, there a lot of F1 parts all over this country, so start looking, and asking.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
fluffy

I always talk to anyone i see riding around in any old pick up. I guess you can say i have a soft spot for old trucks. I've found a few parts around where i live there either to expensive or not salvageable.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
49r

Good on you mate. I bought my 49 F1 when I was 15. This August I will have had it 40 years. You're going to have a lot of fun!
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
fluffy

If I'm going to drive it pretty much everyday is there anything in particular i will have to do with it? With it being completely stock.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
havi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
If I'm going to drive it pretty much everyday is there anything in particular i will have to do with it? With it being completely stock.
Be patient, and pay attention to the road. Old cars and trucks have a tendency to make the driver really learn the road, IMO, compared to new cars and trucks. You'll need to anticipate when to stop, when to start turning the steering wheel, learn to park in a place where you can get going, since manual steering is tougher at a standstill.... etc. Experience driving it will go a long way in that regard..... just know it's not a new car or truck. You'll be fine on the road with it, but the other yayhoos on the road won't. In other words, I don't worry about my self driving an old truck, I worry about the others who think I can stop on a dime (think tailgaters), or can swerve out of the way when they pull out in front of me at an intersection.... stuff like that. Have fun !!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
fluffy

Thanks for all the help guys. A friend suggested putting disc brakes in the front and maybe rack and pinion steering so i don't have to worry so much about those people.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
havi

certain toyota 4x4 steering boxes will be an easy power steering "upgrade", but keeping the flathead means finding a way to adapt a power steering pump to the pulley/belt system.

Disc brakes up front means changing the master cylinder under the cab, and the snowball effect goes from there.

I'm not saying don't do it, but it will cost more money.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
The disc brake idea is good . There are kits available that bolt F-150 rotors on the stock spindles so the bolt pattern for the wheels will remain the same.Put in a king pin kit and new tie rod ends . And if the stock steering is rebuilt it is not bad at all for driving. Your old 4 speed does not have any synchromesh and you will need to double clutch up and down when shifting gears. The six cylinder engine is quit torque but if the rear Axel is 4-11 to 1 you won't want to be doing much Hy-way driving because it will be revving quit high at even 50 MPH. Now here is where i`m going to get some trouble. If it where my truck I would replace the 4 speed with a T-5 trans from a S-10 Chevy PU. That will give you over drive for safer Hy-way driving and a happier longer lasting engine. Plus synchromesh in all gears but reverse. Just my two cents worth
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Ken Crans

Welcome to the Barn Fluff, A lot of F1 guys on here. Lots of info... just ask. Restored my first F1 at 16. Same combo 226 Flatty with a 4 speed. Took that out went and put in a 390 C6 combo. 38 years later doing another F1. Go ahead and ask away on questions, alot of smart people on this site. Good luck with your project. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
TonyM

Welcome. Good luck with your build. TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
fluffy

Havi, I know it will cost more money but id rather be safe then sorry since i will be driving it everyday back and forth to work and school.

Tiquer, Id rather keep it all ford if possible i won't be doing any highway driving. I have a 97 gmc to beat the crap out of for that. I keep hearing different stories about have to double clutch or not with my truck.

Ken Crans, I thought about putting a v8 in it later on down the road. If I don't im going to build sort of like an autocross truck down the road. Aftermarket suspension, brakes, v8, etc. I can ashore you i will be asking alot of questions this is my first build but definitely won't be my last.