Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Mitchel's "Real Deal" Transmision Seal

I am in the process of TRYING to install the Mitchel (of Over-Drive / Syncro. Transmission fame) "Real Deal" Transmission Seal, that prevents oil leakage between the transmission shift rails & Bell housing. This is an easy item to install IF the engine / transmission were OUT of the chassis / car - BUT I am TRYING to install this in an already 'put together' and running automobile. So far it has become an hour and a half STRUGGLE just to get one (of the two required) bolts in. The frustration level has reached the point of 'quitting for the night'.

Has anyone in Ford Barn Land, installed one of these units in the car ? If so, can you PLEASE tell me the 'easy' way to do it ? Contrary to the instruction sheet that came with the unit, which says "It is very easy to install", for me at least, it has become a real challenging struggle !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
afuncar

Default Re: Mitchel's "Real Deal" Transmision Seal

I had trouble installing one with the engine and trans out! problem was getting bolt started threading. Good luck.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
DougVieyra

Yes ! A Fun Car - THAT is exactly the problem ! Angle of the dangle - poor thread start - I just don't know. But it sure is a bitch.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
afuncar

You might try to put a slight taper on the front thread, don t go overboard as this May cause it to cross thread.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I've never installed one, but I can kind of picture the bolt problem. Can you hold the bolt against the hole it needs to thread into, then use a thin pencil magnet to grab the bolt head and pull it around a little at a time until the thread starts. This has worked for me in tight places.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
afuncar

I had trans out and ended up putting socket on extension and tapping it with a light hammer and it still took a fair bit of luck to get it to start!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Rene R

Since I'm a klutz I let my mechanic do it. He's fantastically talented and has decades of experience. But that particular installation almost drove him to drink...

Next time I see him I'll ask if he remembers how he did it, but I can sure remember how glad he was when I took the car off his hands that day. He was really frustrated, and that's very out of character. He's such an easy-going guy.

(Normally he loves working on the A -- a welcome break from all the routine modern crap he works on every day.)
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Ford1931

I recently put one in and had to trim the rubber gasket. There was not enough clearance at the top for the rubber gasket. After trimming it went in fine.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
daveymc29

I did one in the car. It went pretty well for the most part. I have large hands and so I used a magnet and an old brass wrench to get the bolts started, then tightened them with a 1/4 inch drive set until real close to finished, managed to finish with a 3/8 drive socket and a fairly flexible handle. A little blood and a few bad thoughts, but once in it seems to work as it should.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I installed mine with the engine in the car. The big problem was to keep the bolt and lock washer in the socket. The angle going in would let the bolt fall out of the socket. I used a little masking tape to hold the bolt and lock washer in the socket. I used a 3/8" drive short extension and a small stubby flex handled ratchet. I used regular ratchet to get it tight.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote