Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Would you buy a car or truck without a title?

A pal of mine relayed a story to me about selling his unfinished 41 Ford truck and the guy that bought it didn't want the title,,I dunno where it went or what kind of issues there are in other states but I know I wouldn't buy a car or truck without one! HRP
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
alan

Default Re: Would you buy a car or truck without a title?

some states, mostly up north, will not take a title of a vehicle over 10 years old, quess they figure it should be rusted out by now. I would have taken the title anyway and kept it
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Gumpy

Just a matter of personal preference I have bought without a title when my gut feeling was that it had sat in the barn for 30 years but i would never purchase a high end car without one....ask the right questions and trust your judgement...i just bought a british motorbike without title..it sat on a side yard for 25 years and belonged to her father...
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Butch11443

Michigan requires a title, no matter how old. I wouldn't buy one without a title anywhere.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Juergen

If I am buying a parts car, I don't need a title.

In Iowa, getting a new title is straightforward. You ask for a new title, and an inspector verifies that the vehicle ID matches what you stated on the title request. You then post a bond for the present value of the car, and the state will search for the previous owner and if nothing is found in 3 years you have a clear title.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Ct doesn't issue titles anymore on something about 20 yrs old (not sure how old but when I registered my A 2 yrs ago no title issued, most other states are aware of this, bill of sale only probably good to get it notarized).
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
HOTRODPRIMER

You have to have a title in South Carolina no matter how old the car is if you plan on registering it and driving on public roads. HRP
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
If I am buying a parts car, I don't need a title.

In Iowa, getting a new title is straightforward. You ask for a new title, and an inspector verifies that the vehicle ID matches what you stated on the title request. You then post a bond for the present value of the car, and the state will search for the previous owner and if nothing is found in 3 years you have a clear title.
I think that's about how it works in MI too but I haven't applied for a title in a few years. Last time I did I had to provide the VIN with the application, then a deputy came to physically verify that the car existed. If the VIN had not been registered (no plates bought for it) within the last 5 years a new title was issued. But that was in the early 70s, policy may have changed since then.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
41LjH

Bought my truck in KY a few years ago. The title did not match the frame and I didn't notice till I got home. I took the title to DMV and AFTER they took my money and gave me a tag I was told I would not get a North Carolina title until the completed truck was inspected. I explained the truck was on jack stands because I was converting to disc brakes. So they sent an inspector to my house and a six month nightmare. began! I finally got a NC title and had to post a bond to get it all straight. Not only will I never buy a vehicle with out a title, I will check the numbers before I pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post
I think that's about how it works in MI too but I haven't applied for a title in a few years. Last time I did I had to provide the VIN with the application, then a deputy came to physically verify that the car existed. If the VIN had not been registered (no plates bought for it) within the last 5 years a new title was issued. But that was in the early 70s, policy may have changed since then.
I hope so. Anyone could own your project car if that was the case.

There used to be an affadavit you would fill out with the VIN and stating where you obtained the vehicle. You signed under penalty of perjury, came back in an hour and got the title if everything checked out OK. I always told the truth including what I paid for the car, maybe said 5 words at the counter, never had an issue.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
flatheadfan

Butch-

I bought a '40 Buick coupe two years ago form a guy in GA. He did not have a title but gave me notarized bill-of-sale with the serial number on it. I bought a security bond for $250. I took everything to the Sec of State office and paid the standard transfer fee. In less than two weeks I had a clean fresh Michigan title.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Vic Piano

When I moved to Florida I had to get titles for all my New York registered antique cars/trucks. In N.Y. titles are only issued for vehicles registered as 1972 or newer...
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Barry-ct

Conn. has gotten easier to register old cars. Anything over 25 years old doesn't need a title, just a bill of sale. It's better to use a proper bill of sale form, as it has places for buyer/seller and serial number info. My truck is not road worthy yet, but if I have a bill of sale, proof of insurance and a MV form for registration filled out, I can go down and register the truck. No more vehicle inspections for 25 years or older. Conn DMV inspectors used to be real nut crushers on old cars. They'd flunk your vehicle for something stupid and you'd come back the next day and pass easily without fixing anything they failed you on. My vehicles were alway right and passed first time. They will take your title, but you don't get a new one in your name. It's a mixed blessing as people can register some real junk and not get in trouble until they get pulled over. If it were me, and the title was available, I'd take it.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
HOTRODPRIMER

I recently lost out on a extremely nice vintage camper that was being sold with a bill of sale but no title,,knowing I had experienced problems with our DMV in the past I called and talked to a supervisor.

No title,,,no South Carolina registration.

I retrospect,,I should have purchased the camper and got a friend across the state line to register it and bought it back. HRP
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Richard Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41LjH View Post
Bought my truck in KY a few years ago. The title did not match the frame and I didn't notice till I got home. I took the title to DMV and AFTER they took my money and gave me a tag I was told I would not get a North Carolina title until the completed truck was inspected. I explained the truck was on jack stands because I was converting to disc brakes. So they sent an inspector to my house and a six month nightmare. began! I finally got a NC title and had to post a bond to get it all straight. Not only will I never buy a vehicle with out a title, I will check the numbers before I pay for it.
NC has really gotten tough on old car title registrations. Basically, DMV inspector fills out a long vehicle inspection form; then you have to get three notarized apprasials from three different licensed appraisers, then a bond 1 1/2 times the highest apprasial, then you can take all of this to the DMV License Plate Office and apply for a title which may or may not be issued in 6 months to one year depending on what their computer finds out from the other state's, where the car was bought, computer tells them about it's status there. The process is not for the "faint of heart" or anyone that is impatient.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
jim1932

Here is what I got from my dealings in Massachusetts and Maryland (my car came from Mass). Massachusetts did not require you to have a title prior to 1973. If you buy a car from Massachussetts that has not changed hands since 1973, you can use a certified bill of sale. Where you get issues is if someone sells a car using a bill of sale, say in 1980 and that owner never got a title and tries to sell it to you. BIG problems. In my case my Uncle transfered it to his son-in-law (in California) who sold it to me with out getting a title. Pain in the ......
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
paul2748

I don't know if this is still the case, but many years ago in Conn they would issue you a new state title even if the car was over 25 years old (No VIN). You had to request it. They gave you a VIN plate that attached by a strong adhesive.

Sure made registering/titling my Model A much easier in NJ when I moved.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Bob/Ohio

I bought my Model A body about 5 years ago with no title. Found a place online that said they could get me the paperwork to get a title. I sent them $120.00 and in a few weeks got a bill of sale from another state. I took all this paperwork in, and after they checked it out, they gave me a new Ohio title, with no problem. The only question the girl had, was what model it was, I said it was a Coupe, but she was looking for something like a Ford Taurus, or Mustang, Ranger,etc. We got past that once she looked at the year again!

Bob
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
boo

i dont remember buying one WITH a title.....
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
WRA

Anyone have experience with Florida? I plan to register a 34 Ford. Vin# is clear on frame rail and I had a body tag made that matches the vin. Was bought as a body and frame with a bill of sale. Car is not complete but I want to get plates and a title for it.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote