Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Thomas Sargent

Default electric seats

I would like to convert my 40 ford coupe bench seat to electric. This is one that hinges at the top of the back for rear access. Has anyone done this and can steer me in the right direction? If the seat ends up a little higher that would be fine. Thanks
Thomas Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: electric seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sargent View Post
I would like to convert my 40 ford coupe bench seat to electric. This is one that hinges at the top of the back for rear access. Has anyone done this and can steer me in the right direction? If the seat ends up a little higher that would be fine. Thanks
If you mean an electric heated seat be sure your charging system produces enough current, that is to say you have a large alternator.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Whether you are talking about a heated seat or powered seat adjustment.
Your first consideration is, do you have a 12 volt system?
Then it becomes a search for anything that is available that will fit the confines of your interior dimensions with minimumal modifications.
Suspect anything that is available would be too wide to fit your interior unless someone is making something in the aftermarket to fit.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-22-2019 at 09:15 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Not a problem. In 53' The Mercs had a choice of manual, 2 way or 4 way power seats. Mine came with 2 way power seats and I converted it to 4 way, using all original parts. All are 6 volt pos ground.

You will need the motor, relay and switch. These do show up on e-bay from time to time. Since yours didn't have a power seat you will also need to make a motor bracket to weld to the front of the seat frame.

The front of the motor hangs in the bracket and the screw shaft is mounted to the floor. (I had to lighten the picture to show it) All you need to do is provide power to the relay and you are good to go.

I threw in the last picture just to show you what it takes to covert from a 2 way to a 4 way, all factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9253 with arrows.jpg (68.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9203 - Copy arrow.jpg (76.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9153.jpg (84.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8724.jpg (81.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8725.jpg (80.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8683.jpg (51.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
rich b

If you have a 12volt system; maybe try this. Locate an early '80's GM bench seat set up.
Adapt the track to the floor using the original seat mount holes; we trimmed off and welded new pieces on the GM track; keeping the floor unchanged. The cables should have enough flex to make up for the narrower width. Then fit the bare seat frame on the tracks and fabricate mounts welded to the seat frame to connect the two. The one I worked on was a Tudor sedan folding back seat; not sure how your hinged back seat base is constructed; if it is a tray like earlier coupe seats it may be more work.

The cable are kinda like speedo cables and can be modified too if needed.

Last edited by rich b; 12-22-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: extra
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote